Chapter 10

I eased off the bike and took off his helmet. I looked at all the flowers that lined the beds near the steps. With Hiroshi's help I was able to walk up the three steps and into the small house. "Ma!" Hiroshi called.

A woman a little shorter than me with hair black and streaks of gray walked into view. She had a single hair stick holding her hair up. "Hiroshi." She smiled then looked at me. "This must be Angel."

"Hello." I smiled warmly.

"Come into the living room and sit." She said softly, walking into the living room. I slowly followed her and eased onto the couch. "Hiroshi has told me a lot about you." I looked up at Hiroshi then at her. "Hiroshi, be a dear and bring us some tea."

"Sure ma." Hiroshi gave a nod and walked into the kitchen.

"You don't have to be shy, dear." His mother looked at me. "How do you feel about my son?"

I stared into her eyes. "I love him." I said softly. "And I am grateful for everything he's done for me since he came into my life."

His mother gave a warm smile as she gave a nod. "I've always wanted my sons to be happy. I'm glad Daken was happy and now I'm happy that Hiroshi can be happy as well."

I looked down a little. "I'm sorry for your loss... I never got to the chance to know Daken, but I'm sure he was just as kind as Hiroshi is. I'm sure he was a really good man."

She smiled warmly. "Daken was a good man, but even he had his moments where he had a bad attitude. Both my sons are good men and show a lot of respect, but they are also human. If you disrespect them or people they care about, they are going to react the way anyone would react."

"Kick their ass..." Hiroshi said as he walked into the room.

"Hiroshi!" His mother snapped.

"What, it's true." Hiroshi handed a cup of tea to his mother then me.

"Language." His mother said. "Thank you, son."

"You're welcome mother." Hiroshi smiled and sat next to me.

"Thank you." I said softly.

"You're welcome, sweetheart." He stretched his arms over the back of the couch. "So, what do you think, ma?"

His mother took a sip of tea and her dark eyes shifted to his. A warm smile spread across her face. "I'm glad you are happy, son. I think you two are great for each other. Just keep her out of the work you do as much as you can. So this..." She gestured to my wounds. "Doesn't happen again."

Hiroshi smiled as he gave a nod. "Yes, mama."

"Wait, your mom knows about your..." I paused for a moment. "Job?"

"She doesn't know all the details, but yeah she knows."

I gave a nod as I looked down at my hands for a moment. After we left his mom's house and got back to his place, I grabbed my books, placing them in my bag. I stood up straight, placing my hands on my hips. "Damn..."

"What's wrong?" Hiroshi asked as he walked over to me.

"I'm winded and all I did was pack up my bag for class..."