20: Nonetheless,

Donghyuck kept glancing at the time every few minutes, excitedly waiting for his shift at the convenience store to be over

Donghyuck kept glancing at the time every few minutes, excitedly waiting for his shift at the convenience store to be over. The reason for that was a party at Jiae's and Doyoung's to which everyone was invited — Jeno, Sooyoung, Mark, Jaemin, Chenle, Jisung and Renjun included.

As he stood up from his chair behind the counter in order to greet another customer, his face fell.

"Hi, honey." his mom smiled.

"Mom? What are you doing here?" he asked, genuinely surprised and confused.

"Aunt told me you work here. I went to see you at the apartment but you weren't there and she said that after work you're going out with your friends," she gulped "and your girlfriend." she smiled again. "I didn't know you have a girlfriend."

Donghyuck clenched his jaw as he tried to control all the mixture of feelings washing over him at once.

"Yeah, well, there's a lot you don't know since you're not around." he gulped, diverting his gaze from her. "Why were you looking for me, mom?"

The woman's face fell a bit at her son's cold attitude towards her, but she really couldn't blame him. She messed up on so many levels as a mother and yet Donghyuck still tried to stick by her, until he couldn't take it anymore. After he left the hospital a few weeks back, miss Lee began to really think about everything he said and how horrible of a parent she was. She finally felt the urge to be better, for Donghyuck.

"I just wanted to say that I'm going to rehab tomorrow."

The boy's eyes flickered back to his mom, her words giving him hope even though a part of him found it hard to believe. "Mom, I've heard it a hundred times before."

"No, I mean it. It's all set up." she handed him a business card. "That's going to be the person in charge of my recovery. You can check up on me whenever you want."

Donghyuck felt a lump forming in his throat as he kept glancing from the piece of paper in his hands to his mom.

"Anyways, I should get going. I just wanted you to know." she forced a smile, walking backwards towards the exit. Donghyuck's gaze didn't leave her for a second. "I really want to fix everything, honey. I hope you'll be able to forgive me." her lips curled up however her eyes filled with tears she tried so hard to hold back.

The lump in Donghyuck's throat didn't go away, especially not after his mother's words. He didn't say anything back to her, he simply couldn't. All he did was sent her the smallest smile possible before she left the store, leaving him speechless and teary eyed.

Donghyuck wiped his eyes in order to keep those tears from falling and put the business card into his jeans pocket as soon as he noticed another customer come in.