Divided Loyalties

In the game of power, loyalties are seldom pure. They are forged in fire, tempered by ambition, and shattered by betrayal.

In the early hours of the morning, before the first light had broken the horizon, a servant arrived at my door with an insistent knock. Groggy and disoriented, I opened the door to find a young girl, her expression stern and her demeanor urgent. 'Princess Rhaenyra summons you to her chambers immediately,' she declared, leaving no room for argument. I began to protest, wishing to make myself presentable, but she cut me off swiftly. 'There is no time, my lady. She said it is of utmost urgency.' Reluctantly, I followed her, my mind racing with the possibilities of what could be so pressing at this early hour. I was not surprised by this, as it was only a matter of time before my mother would want to have a word with me.

I felt a knot tighten in my stomach as I followed the servant through the dimly lit corridors, each step echoing in the early morning silence. The air was thick with anticipation, and my heart pounded in my chest, its rhythm matching the hurried pace of our footsteps. The walls seemed to close in on me, the familiar tapestries and stonework now appearing ominous and foreboding. As we approached the grand chambers, my palms grew clammy, and I wiped them discreetly on my gown, trying to steady my breathing. My mind raced with countless possibilities of what awaited me behind those heavy doors, and I couldn't shake the feeling of impending judgment.

As I entered the grand chambers, the heavy oak doors creaked open to reveal a room bathed in the soft glow of early morning light filtering through tall, arched windows. The intricate tapestries depicting our family's history adorned the walls, and the scent of burning incense lingered in the air. My parents stood at the center of the room, fully dressed in their regal attire. My mother, with her stern expression, wore a dark, elegant gown that accentuated her commanding presence, her eyes sharp and unyielding. Beside her, my father, Daemon, appeared both impatient and intrigued, his posture tense but his lips curled into a slight smirk. His unmissable sword, Dark Sister, was strapped to his side, adding to the tension in the room. The contrast between their demeanors filled the space with an air of gravity, making the room feel both grand and oppressive.

 I couldn't help but feel the stark contrast between my parents and myself. My mother and Daemon looked every inch the regal figures they were meant to be, while I, on the other hand, felt utterly out of place. My hair was tousled from a restless night, dark circles underscored my tired eyes, and my rumpled nightclothes made me appear disheveled and unkempt. Compared to their immaculate appearances, I felt like a shadow of royalty—messy, sleep-deprived, and far from the composed and elegant image expected of a princess. The severity of my mother's gaze only amplified my self-consciousness, making me acutely aware of my unroyal appearance.

My mother's gaze bore into me with an intensity that made me wish I could disappear into the floor. Her voice was cold and sharp as a blade as she began her tirade.

'Do you have any idea how stupid and immature you've been, Aelyza?' she snapped, her tone dripping with disdain. 'Plotting a marriage with Aemond behind my back? Have you lost all sense of reason?'

I opened my mouth to speak, but she cut me off, her eyes flashing with anger. 'You think you can play these dangerous games without consequences? You think you can make decisions like this without consulting me? You are a child, Aelyza, acting on foolish whims. This isn't some fanciful courtship— it's a political alliance that could cost us everything.'

My heart pounded in my chest as her words lashed out at me. I felt the sting of her disappointment, the weight of her judgment. 'Mother, I...'

'Silence!' she commanded, her voice echoing through the chamber. 'You are not fit to make such decisions. You are reckless, impulsive, and utterly naive. If you had even a fraction of the wisdom required to navigate these treacherous waters, you would know that aligning yourself with Aemond is a perilous mistake.'