Chapter 29

In the Chonghua Palace, Xiao Yunzhou could not help but ask Liu the Elder, "What do you think about those people demanding that I establish a Crown Prince?"

Not long after Xiao Yunzhou left the morning court session, he was again summoned by five ministers of the Imperial Cabinet, the Minister of Rites, and the Imperial Astronomical Bureau.

As one batch of petitioners left in disappointment, another arose to take their place.

Xiao Yunzhou was very troubled.

In truth, he knew that he could not avoid this nagging issue.

As long as he did not establish a Crown Prince, they would not leave him in peace for even a few days!

Xiao Yunzhou's happiness from the morning court session lasted only for a short while before he became gloomy again.

He currently had a favorable impression of Liu the Elder, so he thought to ask for his opinion.

"Liu the Elder, what do you think should be done?"

Liu the Elder cleared his throat lightly.

In his heart, he was grateful for the reminder from Little Princess, though his face did not show the joy he felt within.

He even tried to empathize with the situation.

"Well, if I were in your position..."

Xiao Yunzhou stared at him intently.

Liu the Elder pondered and said, "If my wife, my son, and the few servants in my household who sweep the floors and cook were to pester me every day to appoint the next head of the family, I would truly want to beat them!"

Xiao Yunzhou: "!"

He never could have expected such a response.

For a moment, he could not help but laugh heartily, "Liu the Elder, you truly have a sense of humor."

In Liu the Elder's heart, he chuckled, thinking it was thanks to the reminder from Little Princess that he knew emperors were always suspicious of those around them.

This was not the fault of the person, but the burden of the imperial throne!

The 'son-in-law' before him was the Emperor!

He could never forget that.

"If servants were to overstep their bounds and advise me on such matters, I would certainly feel they had overstepped their authority. But how could they disobey me, the head of the household?"

Liu the Elder considered as he spoke.

"When I was in the village before, my ancestors were all farmers, and we all obeyed the clan leader. When the clan leader was alive, he never appointed a successor."

Xiao Yunzhou was overjoyed.

At last, he heard the words he wanted to hear.

Liu the Elder understood him!

"However," Liu the Elder raised his eyes and glanced furtively at the Emperor before making a clever turn, "the court ministers are urging Your Majesty to establish a Crown Prince out of their own considerations."

Xiao Yunzhou immediately frowned.

Liu the Elder coughed lightly.

Did the Emperor only want to hear pleasing words?

That would not do.

Three years later, when he passed away, what would become of his own granddaughter, grandson, and daughter?