Chapter 81

Early in the morning, at the court.

All the ministers fell silent, watching the Old Master of the Liu Family, dressed in the official robe of the Ministry of Personnel, earnestly remonstrating with Emperor Xiao Yunzhou.

"Sire, you wish to admit the son of a servant, who possesses no scholarly honors, into the Ministry of Works. I agree with the words of the Minister of Works—he is not worthy!"

The corners of the Minister of Works' eyebrows twitched fiercely!

"What virtues or abilities does this servant's son possess?"

From the Minister of Works to the Vice Minister... all their mouths twisted, unable to utter a single word.

"Oh, according to Old Master Liu, Liu Runnian does not deserve to enter the Ministry of Works." Emperor Xiao Yunzhou suppressed a laugh, deliberately wearing a stern expression as he looked at the ministers.

"Do others deserve it?"

A chill ran down the neck of the Minister of Works, and sure enough, the next moment, Xiao Yunzhou blew up!

"I have a court full of scholars and warriors!"

"But the people still can't afford to eat meat, they can't wear warm clothes!"

Xiao Yunzhou sat on the throne, tapping the table.

"Improving the silk spinning machine for women was thought of by the women of my harem."

"Improving the method of pig farming for the people was my idea."

"Now, the method to increase duck farming yield was thought of by Liu Runnian, who has no scholarly honors!"

As Xiao Yunzhou said this, he began to feel distressed too. As he got carried away with his act, tears welled up in his eyes. Looking at the courtiers standing below, he said, overwhelmed with sorrow, "I don't want to break the ancestral rules, nor do I want to practice nepotism."

"But you scholars, could you come up with something useful for me!"

Xiao Yunzhou slapped his own face, "Do you have any shame in opposing Liu Runnian's entry into the Ministry of Works? I'm embarrassed just hearing it!"

Minister of Works: "......"

Chancellor Fu Cha: "......"

"I can't count on you at all, I can only count on the talents among the people!"

"Am I wrong?"

"Am I wrong to want the people to be able to eat meat?"

The courtiers opened their mouths, rendered speechless.

Since some time ago, whenever the Emperor came to court, he was like a fighting rooster, vastly different from his previous style.

His words were harsh, and between the lines, he was subtly scolding them, and the worst part was, he seemed to have a point?

The courtiers fell silent.

"Seeing is believing, hearing is not," Xiao Yunzhou stood up directly from the throne, "In the next few days, I will take you to enjoy a full duck banquet raised and hatched by Liu Runnian."

The courtiers opened their mouths.

"Especially Lord Chen of the Ministry of Works, you eat more."

"......"

"If you can learn a thing or two while eating, and apply what you have learned, I won't need to face the ridicule of all the officials, and desperately scout talent for the Ministry of Works."