Chapter 27

Morning court.

The officials were all in their places, Xiao Yunzhou arrived half a cup of tea late.

Also arriving late was Master Liu.

"Your Majesty, the morning court concerns important state affairs, it concerns the rise and fall of the dynasty, how can one be late so casually!?"

Just as Xiao Yunzhou had finished adjusting his dragon robe and sat down on the dragon throne, someone scolded him.

His face immediately turned dark.

Officials from the Imperial Cabinet and the Censorate stood up to accuse Master Liu!

"For those who arrive late to morning court, the punishment shall be a month's salary deduction for minor offenses, and one hundred strokes of the cane for major offenses!"

"I plead with Your Majesty, Liu Wenchang, as an Imperial Censor responsible for overseeing the officials, should set a good example himself. His tardiness to morning court should be severely punished!"

Liu Wenchang's face changed.

His granddaughter hadn't mentioned this.

Xiao Yunzhou took a deep breath.

Anyone with eyes could see that Liu Wenchang arrived at the same time as him.

These people were just finding fault!

"Last night, I allowed Liu Wenchang to be late for today's morning court due to official business."

Lord Fucha, leading the Imperial Cabinet, stood among the officials. At this moment, his hands were calmly folded, and he remained silent.

But behind him, an Imperial Censor stepped forward, "Today, Your Majesty is also late to morning court. Could it be that Your Majesty is shielding Master Liu? Or is it because Master Liu's daughter is Your Majesty's recent favorite consort?"

"How dare you!" Xiao Yunzhou's anger surged.

The first to scold him for being late were from the Empress's family.

Now, those who insulted him with words were from the Noble Consort's family.

They thought by publicly reprimanding Master Liu, they could thwart the possibility of the Fifth Prince being named the crown prince?

Or were they planning to trample on his face as the Emperor, so that they could bring up the matter of naming the crown prince later, leaving him, the Emperor who was late and guilty, unable to object?

What a bunch of fools!

Xiao Yunzhou coldly snorted, "Bring him forward!"

Among the officials, except for Master Liu and the Imperial Guards, the rest looked puzzled.

But soon, several officials from the Censorate, including some who had previously petitioned for the naming of the crown prince, looked uneasy.

"Where is Lord Zhou?"

"Why isn't the Right Chief Censor at morning court today? Is he ill?"

"I played chess with him yesterday."

They all felt a sense of unease.

Before long, the sound of metal chains clinking echoed in the court.

With a thud, a man with heavy shackles and a foul odor was kicked to his knees by the Imperial Guards!

"The guilty official Zhou, Zhou Wuxin, pays respects to Your Majesty..."