Elevators and Interviews

"A simple truth? We'll never have today again,"

Cilla stared at the shoes on her bed. She didn't want to put them on, if she did then she'd have to go to the interview and after that, well, then the games will begin. Maybe if she didn't put them on she wouldn't have to go- in all honesty, this was the part before it all she was dreading most. Training had been easy as she stayed with Ivanna and Asra, Calder would let her be during these times, on her rankings she managed a 10; which she is still in shock from, but this was the worst, Cilla was a nervous person. A very nervous person. She would ramble on about unless things, once went on a rant to a friend at school about why the water colour changed during the seasons when asked what the answer to a problem was- it was 14.

"Little Butterfly?" A soft voice came from behind her. A nickname she was given after they met.

"Tigris, hi, what do you need?" She held her hands together behind her back.

The woman stepped into the room and walked next to the bed, "I took one for the team and came back up the elevator to get you. You're on in 5,"

Cilla sighed and sat on the edge, "I don't want to go,"

Tigris picked the shoes up and held them in her lap as she sat down, "In all my years of doing this you are the most amazing girl I have met," Her hand fell over the girls, "Most of these tributes from your district come into this ready to fight and ready to die for fun. But with you, I can see all you want is to leave, to go home, to live a life with your brother by your side. I once knew a boy who couldn't acknowledge the things he did, a boy who changed who he was for everyone else, who shoved it all down till it consumed and took over. You are the very best of this world and you will save us all,"

"That's a lot to put on a girl," She managed what resembled a laugh as she blinked to not cry, "Thank you,"

She nodded and stood up, "Now put on these fantastic shoes and lets go,"

Cilla groaned but took the shoes and slid them on. She stood up and smoothed out the dress where it had crinkled.

The dress that she wore was her favourite of the two, Tigris said she made it more simple as a way to show that you would stay the same. It had spaghetti straps with two bigger baggier straps that fell to her elbows. The fabric itself was dark blue silk that flowed down to her feet, tighter at the waist as beige sand-like mesh hung over it like its own cover as the same color stones patterned around in the form of flowers.

The two left from her room and headed to the elevator as the TV in the corner broadcasts the interviewee from District 3. The host seemed uninterested in the answer he was given and dug a little deeper, the girl looking visibly upset. He apologized as she laughed it off to make her feel better, Cilla twisted the ends of her hair and went to braid it again but Tigris grabbed her hand. She went to fight it but was given a glare that all but dared her to do it. Cilla swept her hair over her shoulder and held her hands clasped in front of her.