The Start

"the worst way you can leave someone,is in silence,"

is in silence,"

DAY ONE

Growing up in one of the closer districts to the capitol, hovercrafts used to fly over them on their way to send out deliveries and when they would receive them.

So when they led all the tributes, Cilla was not thrilled to see what awaited them as they terrified her. One of her hands held tight to the seat as the other dug its nails into her brother's hand.

"It's okay, Lucky, it'll land soon," Calder said, using his free hand to pat where theirs met, his voice calm despite the pain radiating up his arm.

As he said that, the nurse from next to him now stood in front of him, needle in hand, as her face remained blank.

Without warning, she took his arm and stuck the needle in, "This is your tracker," she told him as she pulled it back out, put it away, and grabbed another, moving on to Cilla.

The girl's eyes snapped shut as her face scrunched up, and her arm went out. The nurse took her arm and stuck the needle into her arm, the blank expression firm on her face as she stared down at the young girl.

The one thing Cilla hated more than these hovercrafts, more than the heat, was needles.

She felt as if she could feel them under her skin and pinpoint exactly where they were; they all told her she was crazy and that once it was out of sight, it was out of mind.

They lied.

"What if I remove it? Will you have to come back in and give me a new one?" She tried to joke as the needle was removed from her arm.

The nurse blinked and sighed, "If you try to remove it, it will send a signal to your nerves, and you will go limp with pain."

"Oh Okay," Her voice hitched as she held her arm where the needle had been.

The nurse went back to the door she had come out of as a jolt went through the hovercraft. Calder held tighter onto her hand, Cilla giggling at his fear as he sent her a glare that made her bite her tongue from laughter.

The side of the hovercraft opened, the light blinding the tributes as it was soon covered by a van backing in. Guards opened the doors, and the seat belts around them were all released. Hesitantly, they all rose from their seats and walked toward the open van.

Once all the tributes were in the van, the doors shut, and the vehicle was off.

Inside the van, it was dark, and only two benches lined the sides, letting some sit but not all. The ride lasted for what felt like 5 minutes before the vehicle slowly came to a stop.

The back door opened again, revealing a wide, circular, white hallway with 24 doors lining it.

The tributes clambered out of the van and down the hall, curiously looking at each door. Each door had a different tribute's name on it, and one by one, the children went into the one designated to them.