The 68th Reaping

"You'll never understand until it happens to you,"

"Lucky!" The boy's voice echoed around the trees, "Will you come out already?"

This had been going on for the last fifteen minutes. Calder was searching for his sister when she had run into the woods after a pelican stole her fishing net right off the dock. "We'll find the net later, come on."

"No," A pair of legs swung in front of him, inches from his face. The boy jumped back with his hand over his heart, "I am getting this bird."

He sighed and grabbed her legs, "Hey!" Cilla kicked her legs but, in her struggle fell from the branch, her weight bringing them both falling back onto the dirt floor.

"Nice going, dumbass," He pushed her off of him. Calder stood up and brushed off his pants before holding his hand out for her to take. Letting out an annoyed huff, she grabbed his hand and was up on her feet.

"This was Gram's skirt. You're cleaning it later," Cilla pushed his shoulder with her as she went to grab her backpack that still hung from the branch.

"Yeah, yeah, let's go," He took her bag before she could grab it and walked ahead. Cilla groaned and followed after him.

"I don't see why we have to go. Technically, we aren't a part of district four."

"And they technically don't know that," Calder messed with his sister's hair as she swatted his hand away, "Besides, your name is in there four- maybe five times. If you get picked, the games are rigged."

She laughed and spun around, "Or bad luck."

"Or bad luck," He joined in her laughter as they walked through the final part of the trees.

The two teenagers made their way down the docks and past the boats lining them. Calder stopped and hid Cilla's bag in a nearby bush, as items like these weren't allowed in the hall.

Cilla reminded her brother what would happen if the bag was stolen, and then he reminded her she was closer to the water, to which she kicked the back of his knee. Being used to this, he caught himself before falling forward, glaring at his sister as she walked backward in front of him with a wide smile.

His leg shot out, but she stepped out of the way before being tripped. Again, he tried to trip his sister, but again, she was too fast.

This was one of many things he envied about her. Cilla had the ability to move quietly without being seen or heard unless wanted, this played into how she could use her peripheral vision to see what was coming at her.

Luckily for him, she was never good at actually checking her surroundings.

But she noticed his smile too late and wasn't able to turn fast enough to not collide with the person behind her.