Unfolding

"Salt and sugar look the same,"

DAY TWO

The sun felt as if it rose too quickly the next day. It wasn't as dark, but it was still cloudy enough that the tributes wished for more sun, more warmth to soothe them.

Cilla never slept that night.  It felt wrong for her to.

Instead, she sat in the tree she had jumped out of the day before and watched as the surrounding area grew brighter.

Four cannons had gone off shortly before the light broke through, but they won't know who had died until nightfall.

She may not know if her brother was alive until nightfall.

A few of the tributes stayed on the bridge that night as they were too scared to breach the land where others waited.

Around mid-day, four figures came to leave the wooded area down the beach. Cilla hugged her legs more to her chest so she would not be seen.

But as they got closer, she could make out Ivanna's face and slid down from her branch, knowing she'd be safe; Audrey, Zara and Asra were with her.

With all her strength, she tried not to let her knees buckle under her from the little energy she had left but ended up stumbling into another tree. Upon seeing her, the others ran over to her aid.

"Lucille!" Ivanna put an arm around the girl to steady her, "Are you okay?"

"What happened?" Audrey's voice broke as she asked Cilla.

Ivanna shot her a glare and pulled the girl closer, "Audrey, not now."

"Yes, now," She scoffed. "The last time we saw them, they went off together, and now she's the only one here. You saw his face up there last night."

"It's the water," Her voice was quiet, but they all heard her. "I knocked the girl from two in there yesterday and couldn't understand why she died almost on impact. She inhaled so much of the water so fast it killed her."

"Then how come you're here? How come only he drank the water?"

"I wasn't thirsty." Cilla sent a glare at Audrey.

"Did you sleep at all?" Asra walked over and sat the girl on the sandy ground, all the others sitting around the two as well.

She shook her head no and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"We found a bag with supplies earlier with a few things in it," he told her gently. "Get some sleep while we make some protection and share a food bar."

Cilla nodded in agreement and closed her eyes, slowly drifting off to sleep.

The four around her had run into each other not long after Ash and Cilla split off from the others, and they all decided to stick together as there was strength in numbers.