Chapter 17

Clarinia's POV

Wait, I was right? This is actually gonna happen? My stomach had the feeling of guilt in me, I thought this - it was just fake - but it's actually gonna happen. Shit, James is actually gonna die, and what's worse is that Mason and I let him.

"The smokes never lie - Dad, isn't there a way we could save him?" I ask, feeling a wave of sadness come over me.

"I am afraid that... there isn't a way, but just keep this conversation between you and me."

He says. I nod before leaving, a bit shaken up. My own brother is going to die, and he won't even know about it. Well this day just gets crappier and crappier. But if it's one thing I learned, Mason can keep a secret, so I'm definitely telling him.

I come downstairs from the second level to the training area. At once, to my far right, I saw Mason teaching my soon-to-be-dead older brother and best friend fire. Wow I'm a downer. And just to make it clear, I literally have to tell someone otherwise it'll slip out my mouth somewhere. So I walk over to them, crossing my arm.

"How long have you two been training?"

"About 15 minutes."

James replied nonchalantly. I nod my head, turning to Mason hesitantly. I need to let him know so he can be prepared for the worst when it comes. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I spoke.

"Can I borrow Mason, just for a few minutes?"

I ask my brother, silently hoping that he'd say yes. Oh who am I kidding? I practically scare them with a smile. Which I guess is a good and bad thing if I really think about it.

"Sure."

I then grab his wrist and drag him to where no one could hear us, at all, the other side of where they were training. This needs to be said, and now. Before some unplanned happens to us all. So I spoke up, before Mason could even question me.

"It's about James."

"Wh-What's wrong?"

Mason asks in a troubling voice. Letting out a soft sigh, I spoke up. "Don't tell anyone. Got it?"

I then explain to him what happened in my dream and how that was the reason for waking them up, and why I was crying apparently. And about how Sensei saw it in the smokes that were in his room, and how all of it is gonna happen.

"We have to make it seem like everything is normal." I say at last.

"Y-Yeah. Got it." Mason says in a weak voice.

Mason's POV

James- he was- is a great friend. How could he die? I feel tears starting to well in my eyes. So I head into the bathroom without James or the others, except Clarinia noticing. Once inside, I began to wipe tears away.

Looking up at the mirror, I saw a boy who looked like he watched his puppy die. The only difference is that I'm the boy and James is the puppy. I let out a soft sigh, before fixing my training clothes. Leaving the bathroom, I accidentally bump into Nya.