Chapter 17

Waking up to the sun shining in through his  windows was a serotonin boost to start his day. He was happy to be in his own bed, he had grown sick of waking up in the hotel bed. He now had access to his own, full sized fridge, his own couch, and his own streaming services. He planned on making himself some actual breakfast before starting his day.

As he went downstairs he scrolled through his notifications and eventually responded to Maddie.

'Did you make it home safe?' The message was sent around 11pm. That was the only message she had sent that night.

'Hey, I'm sorry I came home and fell asleep.' He then put his phone in his pocket and then made himself some bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. He figured he could text Caleb as he cooked, he realized he had really just left everyone hanging on his well being.

'Good morning, what are you up to today?' He figured since he was back he could hang out with Caleb and probably get some groceries.

Caleb didn't respond until well after Buck had finished his food and washed all his dishes. He was sat on his couch watching the food network. He was looking for some new recipes to try in his free time.

'Morning, I'm not doing much. I should be free all day. Why?' Caleb responded.

'Do you maybe wanna go on a hike or something?' Buck knew there wasn't much else to do in town, but him and Caleb always went on hikes to catch up.

'Going on a hike sounds nice. What time? We could meet up in an hour and then go on a two hour hike before maybe getting lunch. The Local should be open today.' Buck read through his message before looking at the weather and what not. After which he responded.

'Sounds good to me. Do you want me to come get you or do you want to switch it up and come get me?' Buck yawned and went to throw on some clothing.

'My truck is in the shop right now so could you come get me? I would appreciate it.' Buck smiled and sent a thumbs up before doing a few things to get ready.

He put a few towels, some extra clothes, water, a med kit, and some snacks into the back seat of his jeep before going inside to wait out the 45 minutes left. When the time came to get Caleb, Buck drove to his house and waited outside for him.

The car ride was almost entirely void of conversation. The pair just hummed along to whatever played on the radio. They didn't start talking until a few minutes into their hike.

"How was the trip Buck?" Buck was glad to know he was home, the cool air felt nice against his skin.

"It went as well as it could go. I mean my sister had just gotten into an accident." He shrugged.

"How did seeing her after so long go? Did you guys talk about things?" Caleb glanced at him before looking back at the trail ahead of them. His bag bouncing slightly off his back.

"Yeah we discussed things. She apologize." Buck was making sure to watch his footing as he walked beside Caleb.

"Did you enjoy talking to her?" Caleb was looking around again.

"I think I did." Buck was happy to have seen Maddie but in a way he felt sad.

"What do you mean you think you did?" Caleb asked, glancing over.

"I just feel sad." He took a deep breath. "I mean, she said sorry. I've wanted to hear that for so long but... I just don't know how to move on from that. I feel like she chose Chim over me. Her own brother." He was trying not to take his eyes off the path but it was hard to focus on where he was walking when he was so upset.

"I'm sorry Buck." Caleb sounded calm, and Buck knew Caleb shouldn't be upset at all but he was upset he got to be so calm. He decided to take a deep breath and allow himself to calm down.

"It's alright. Tell me about your week? You must have done something good yeah?" Buck asks to change the subject.

"Well, I talked to my mom." Caleb didn't sound too happy about that.

"Yeah? How'd that go?" Buck inquired, fidgeting with the bottom of his shirt.

"As well as it can go with her. But I also went on a date with someone." Caleb sounded more excited about that.

"Oh really? Tell me about them." Buck grinned.

"Well, his name is Jason. He has brown hair and pink streaks through his hair. He is a little shorter than I am." Caleb was still smiling. "We have a lot in common. He likes reading, and hiking. Oh and he likes staying at home and watching movies."

"Oh really? The guy sounds great. How long have you known each other?" They reached a bench where they could sit, talk and enjoy the scenery.

"Well, we met in College. I was an English major and he was a Science major. We had a few classes together though. Oh and we were dorm mates." Caleb took a breath and took a water out of his bag. "He moved here a few weeks ago and here and there we've been catching up. But he asked me out Friday night and we discussed stuff."

"You were an English major?" Buck ate a granola bar from his own bag.

"Yep, and I took Greek. My two favorite classes through college." Caleb took a few photos of their surroundings.

"That's awesome!" Buck put his trash back into his bag and sat back. "It's good to be back."

"Well we still have some time to keep walking. You ready to keep going?" Caleb asked as he stood up.

"Yep, I am. I might collect some rocks while we walk." Buck got up and stretched before going to keep walking with Caleb. After a while they turned around and went back to Buck's jeep before going to lunch.