Chapter Five

The little brunette boy was merely ten years of age but he found himself not knowing exactly what to say and how to act in front of Lady Breyna Blackwood. He could tell just by looking at her that she belonged to House Blackwood. Her scarlet and black gown. Her long dark hair that shone a dark brunette under the sun but otherwise looked black. Her bright green eyes stood out against her dark hair and fair skin. Jacaerys had never met anyone from House Blackwood before. One of the handmaidens had told him and Lucerys stories of Blackwood witches. When Jacaerys saw Breyna for the first time, on the terrace, at the succession of Lady Laena's ceremony, he wondered if she might be a witch. When he was introduced to the girl, he didn't dare ask her that though. Jacaerys thought the girl was beautiful. As beautiful as a girl could be at only ten. He knew he wanted to be her friend. The mysteriousness behind her eyes lured him to her and he yearned to learn of all her secrets.

~

When Rhaenyra dismissed Lucerys and Jacaerys, the latter walked his younger brother to his room before creeping off someplace else. The young boy wasn't entirely sure himself why he was going to the Blackwood's room. Or why once he got there he told her all of what had happened. How Aemond called them Strong boys. And almost killed them both. 

The two babbled on like the small children they were. Neither of them truly knowing the depths of the evil and responsibility that loomed over them. The dark shadow that stood tall behind them. Since the day they were born into the world. Reaching its grasp closer and closer to the children with every moon that phased. Before either one knew it, it would latch onto them, catch them, consume them. And by then it would be too late.

Morning came quickly and soon the sun was fully risen, shining brightly into the guest chamber. There was a light knock on the door and Jacaerys jumped onto his feet, leaving his seat on the edge of the bed. 

"One moment!" Breyna called out to whom she assumed a handmaiden. 

"Yes my lady," a woman's voice spoke softly. 

"I know a way out," Jace muttered as he hurried towards one of the corners of the room. 

Breyna watched with wide eyes as the boy pushed with all his might on the tall bookshelf that stood in the corner of the room. "My grandfather showed me the tunnels of Driftmark. He played in them as a boy." The bookshelf sunk into the wall and opened to a stone tunnel that looked to lead outside. 

Jacaerys turned back to the girl before pushing the shelf closed again. Breyna straightened her back as she suddenly remembered he was a prince. 

"Thank you, my lady. I shall see you in the afternoon." 

Breyna nodded her head to the prince, "Yes, my prince." The girl cleared her throat and smiled with tight lips towards the boy, she watched him disappear into the darkness of the cave, the bookshelf quietly clicking back into place. 

"Come," Breyna said as she sat back down onto the edge of her bed. The door opened slowly and Mysla stepped into the room gracefully. 

"Good morrow my lady. Did you sleep well?" 

"I did," Breyna lied with a smile and tired eyes. 

"You mustn't lie my lady," Mysla whispered, not even looking at Breyna as she placed her hand onto Benjicot's back and gently woke him up.  

"I—I'm not..." 

Mysla turned to meet Breyna's eyes. "I have known you since you were a babe, child. I know what you look like when you haven't slept." 

Breyna didn't say anything, swinging her little legs that didn't quite touch the ground when she sat on the edge of the bed. 

"How about this dress for today?" Mysla asked, holding a light blue gown with delicate embroidery. It was Lady Arryn's gown from when she was a girl. One of Breyna's favorites. She nodded her head, her hair bouncing. Mysla helped the Blackwood get dressed after she finished dressing Benjicot. "Your father said we are to leave after we finish breaking fast."