Chapter 7

A few days later, armed with the fabricated marriage certificate and nerves fluttering in my stomach, I stood outside the imposing building of Sterlings Herbal Company. The morning sun cast long shadows across the sleek exterior, and I took a deep breath before stepping inside.

The reception area gleamed with modern elegance, and I approached the front desk with a mix of excitement and apprehension. I handed over my resume and the fake certificate to the receptionist, who assured me that Ms. Thompson would see me shortly.

As I waited, my mind raced with thoughts of the interview ahead. Could I convincingly portray myself as a married woman? Would they see through our deception? The minutes stretched into an eternity until finally, Ms. Thompson emerged to escort me to the interview room.

Inside, the room was bright and formal, with a large window overlooking the city skyline. Ms. Thompson sat across from me, her demeanor professional yet welcoming.

"Thank you for coming in, Samantha," she began, reviewing my resume. "Your qualifications are impressive, and your experience with herbal medicines is exactly what we're looking for."

I nodded, striving to appear confident as she asked probing questions about my skills and experiences. With each answer, I projected competence and enthusiasm.

"Lastly," Ms. Thompson said, glancing down at the marriage certificate on the table, "we just need to verify this document."

My heart skipped a beat as she studied the certificate closely. I held my breath, praying silently that our fabrication would hold up under scrutiny.

"Everything seems to be in order," Ms. Thompson said finally, handing the document back to me. "Welcome to Sterlings Herbal Company, Samantha."

Relief washed over me like a wave as I accepted her handshake, gratitude and excitement mingling within me. The weight of the fake certificate in my pocket felt heavier than ever, but for now, I had secured the opportunity I desperately needed.

The next day, I arrived at the company ready to start my new role in the research and development lab. The corridors buzzed with activity, and I navigated through the maze of offices and labs until I reached my designated area.

As I entered the lab, the scent of herbs and the hum of scientific equipment greeted me. I took a moment to soak in the atmosphere, feeling a surge of pride and determination. This was my chance to prove myself, to contribute to something greater than myself.

Then, as if on cue, a tall figure approached from across the room. His presence commanded attention, and I froze in place as our eyes met.

"Good morning," he greeted me with a commanding tone, his voice resonating authority. "You must be Samantha. I'm Alex Sterlings, the CEO and head scientist in the lab."

I blinked, momentarily stunned by his aura of power and dominance. Alex Sterlings stood before me, his muscular frame and serious demeanor casting a shadow over the room. He exuded confidence and control in every movement, his piercing gaze leaving little room for uncertainty.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Sterlings," I managed to say, extending my hand somewhat tentatively.

He accepted my handshake with a firm grip, his hands leaving an electric feeling in me. He stared at me for a brief moment, then continued in his deep dominating voice, "Welcome to our team. I trust you understand the expectations of excellence we uphold here."

His words hung in the air, a subtle reminder of the high standards of performance expected at Sterlings Herbal Company. As he turned to leave, his presence lingered in the room, leaving me both intrigued and wary of the challenges ahead.