Chapter 8

I exhaled the breath I had been holding. His grip on my hand was so possessive, leaving a lingering sensation. I stared at my hand, still feeling the residual electricity from his touch. My thoughts were interrupted by a voice calling me.

"Samantha," came a voice from behind. "I'm Alison, the biochemist here. Welcome to the team."

I turned to see Alison, a woman in her mid-thirties with sharp, observant eyes. She extended her hand with a welcoming smile, which I accepted gratefully.

"Thank you, Alison," I replied, trying to regain my composure. "I'm eager to get started."

Alison gestured for me to follow her, and we navigated through the bustling lab. "Let me introduce you to the rest of the team," she said. "We're a close-knit group, and collaboration is key to our success."

We approached a tall, calm-looking man meticulously examining a plant specimen. "This is Richard, our chief botanist," Alison introduced. "Richard, this is Samantha."

Richard looked up from his work, his eyes reflecting a deep connection with the plants around him. "Welcome, Samantha," he said, nodding kindly. "I specialize in cultivating and optimizing herbs. If you ever need any assistance with plant genetics or growth techniques, don't hesitate to ask."

"Thank you, Richard," I responded, appreciating his calm and composed demeanor.

Next, we moved towards a young man working with various extraction tools, his enthusiasm palpable even from a distance. "And this is Jone, our pharmacologist," Alison continued.

"Hey there, Samantha!" Jone greeted me with a bright smile. "I'm responsible for turning our herbal extracts into effective medications. If you need help with formulation techniques or anything pharmacology-related, just let me know."

"I appreciate that, Jone," I said, feeling his infectious energy uplift my spirits.

Alison leaned in slightly and added, "Just so you know, you'll be working closely with Alex. He oversees the testing and other critical processes himself. It's a demanding role, but you'll learn a lot and have the opportunity to make significant contributions."

At the mention of Alex's name, I felt a flutter in my chest—a strange mix of excitement and apprehension. The memory of his firm grip and intense gaze resurfaced, and I couldn't deny the attraction I felt towards him. His commanding presence and undeniable charisma made my heart race. However, underlying my attraction was a gnawing fear—what would he do if he ever caught me in a lie? The thought of his reaction to any deception sent a shiver down my spine, adding to the complexity of my emotions.