Chapter 20

The following morning, I woke up with a renewed sense of purpose. The sun was just peeking over the horizon, casting a warm glow through my bedroom window. I quickly got ready and headed to the lab, eager to continue our work.

When I arrived, I found Alex already there, reviewing some notes. He looked up and smiled as I entered.

"Good morning, love," he greeted, giving me a warm hug.

"Good morning, Alex," I replied, returning his hug warmly. "How are you feeling today?"

"Much better, thanks to you," he said, his eyes twinkling with gratitude. "I couldn't have managed yesterday without your help."

"We're a team," I said, feeling a warm sense of camaraderie.

"I love being on your team," he said lovingly, pulling me closer with his hands on my waist. I could see sincerity in his eyes. I felt a pang of guilt, knowing I was, in a sense, betraying him. I have to tell him sooner or later.

I didn't realize I was staring at him.

"Did I become more handsome?" he asked, smiling playfully.

"Yes, I feel jealous that other women can look at my handsome man," I said, smiling back.

"Well, I only look at you," he said, pecking my lips tenderly. I pulled back when I heard footsteps approaching the lab.

Kevin arrived shortly after, and we all got to work. The new herbs from Italy had arrived, and we were eager to start testing them. The morning flew by as we carefully analyzed each sample, recording our findings and adjusting our methods.

During a break, Alex pulled me aside. "Love, I wanted to thank you properly for everything you've done. Would you like to have dinner with me tonight?" he asked warmly.

I hesitated for a moment, remembering the complications of our situation. But the sincerity in his eyes melted my reservations. "I'd love to," I said, smiling.

"Great," he said, looking relieved. "I'll pick you up at seven."

The rest of the day passed in a blur of activity. By the time evening arrived, I was both excited and nervous about our dinner. I went home, freshened up, and chose a simple yet elegant dress.

At exactly seven, Alex arrived at my door. He looked dashing in crisp shirt and slacks, a small bouquet of flowers in his hand.

"You look beautiful, my love," he said, handing me the flowers with a warm smile.

"Thank you," I replied, feeling a blush creep up my cheeks. "You look great too."

Alex drove to a cozy restaurant on the outskirts of town, known for its intimate atmosphere and delicious food. The evening was perfect. We ordered our meals, and in no time, they were served.

"Let me do it for you," Alex said, cutting my steak lovingly.

"Thank you, Alex," I said, smiling at him. He returned my plate with a smile.

"Love, I hope I'm not making you uncomfortable," he said gently, concern in his eyes.

"No, you're not making me uncomfortable. It's just that I've never been on a date with a guy, so this is something new for me," I said honestly.

"Really? I'm glad that I'm the first and the last guy you'll ever go on a date with," he said with a soft smile.

"I've also never dated anyone before you. You're the first girl I've ever approached," he added sincerely.

"Really? It's hard to believe," I said, taking a bite of my steak while smiling.

"It's true, babe. I'm not lying," he said, his eyes filled with sincerity. I knew this was not the time to tell him the truth. It would surely ruin our good time. The dinner went on with us getting to know each other better. Just as we were leaving the restaurant, my phone rang. It was Sia calling me. I picked up the phone.

"Hey Samy, are you home yet?" she asked excitedly.

"Umm...we're just on our way out. Did you need something?" I asked her curiously.

"No, I just wanted to inform you that I'll be with Nick tonight. He has planned a night for us, so I won't be coming home," she said, excitement evident in her voice.

"Have fun and make sure to use protection," I said, smiling.

"I will. Now I gotta go, bye," she said hurriedly. I bid her goodbye and turned around to see Alex already looking at me.

"I guess that was your cousin," he said, pulling me towards him. God, he really likes touching me. I also love it when he does that.

"Yeah, it was Sia. She's not coming home tonight," I told him.

"Really? That would be better," he said, opening the car door for me with a hint of excitement.

"Huh?" I asked, confused, as I sat in the car. He came around and sat in the driver's seat, looking at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Maybe we can also spend the night together, baby," he said seductively. "Love, stay the night with me. I promise I won't do anything you don't want me to. Just you and me cuddling," he added cutely. Really, I was calling him cute. This man could make people go weak at the knees, and now he was being adorable. How could I deny that?

"We can do whatever you want, but you need to be in my arms," he said softly.

"Okay, since Sia is not home, I'll go with you," I said shyly.

"Thank you, baby. I promise you won't regret it," he said, kissing my forehead gently.