Chapter 1 - One of those days

"I wouldn't possibly drink the same coffee that you drink, just in case yours spilled. That would be pathetic."
-

Garrett is running on the treadmill in his apartment this morning, while reading over the manuscript you had given him. You wake up in your bed and turn to your nightstand, seeing the time you curse to yourself and jump out of bed.

Each of you getting ready for work in your own ways, in your very different apartments. You frantically running around and stumbling over some mess in your small apartment, then grab your purse and run to work. Garrett having been up early, takes it slow, glancing outside at Central Park form his big, nice and tidy apartment.

When you run to your regular coffee shop on the way to work, you find yourself in the back of a very long line.

"Yn, hey." A coffee shop employee says, seeing you immediately and you walk past the line, he hands you two coffees already made and ready for you. "Here you go. Your regular lattes." He tells you, smiling.

"Literally saved my life. Thank you. Thank you." You tell him gratefully, taking the coffee and turning to leave the shop. The guy looking at you with a small smirk as you leave, feeling triumphant.

You run in to the building and burst into the elevator just before it closes, bumping in to a few people.

"Everyone okay?" You ask.

"Yeah." They say.

"Me too." You sigh, having managed not to spill the coffee.

Garrett is walking through the crowd on the New York street, he's dressed in a fine suit, carrying his briefcase and holding his phone to his ear.

"Hello, Frank? How's my favourite writer?" Garrett asks the man on the phone. "Of course you've been thinking about our talk, because you know I'm right. Frank, people in this country are busy, broke, and they hate to read. They need someone they can trust to say, 'Hey, don't watch CSI:Indianapolis tonight. Read a book! Read Frank's book.' And that person is Oprah."

You walk out the elevator and pass the reception.

"Cutting it close." The receptionist tells you.

"One of those mornings. Thank you Captain Obvious." You say looking back at her as you walk, but then you crash into a mail-cart and spill coffee all over yourself.

"Geez!" You exclaim angrily.

"Uh, sorry." The young man apologises and hurries away with the mail-cart.

"Rub some dirt on it, girl." One of your coworker tells you, as you pass her.

"Frank, the truth is all A-plus novelists do publicity.. Roth, McCourt, Russo, and.. Frank. Can I tell you what else they have in common? A Pulitzer." Garrett tells Frank on the phone as he waits for the elevator.

You go up to a coworker's desk.

"I need your blouse." You tell her.

"You're kidding, right?"

"Yankees, Boston, this Tuesday, two company seats for your blouse. You have five seconds to decide. Five, four, three, two, one."

Another worker on the floor sees Garrett walking out of the elevator. She hurriedly writes a text to everyone else on the computer, saying 'It's here!'. Everyone sees it and sit up straight or get back to work, and some get out of his way when they see him. A man hides behind a pillar when Garrett walks by.

You adjust your blouse, waiting in his office. The blouse was slightly more revealing than you were allowed to wear, but hoped he didn't notice. Walking through the doors to his office, it's the first thing he notices, but hides it as he heads for his desk.