Chapter 4 - Welcome to Sitka

"Psst! I'm not getting on that boat."

You sit next to Garrett on the plane, going through the binder you got from Gilbertson.

"So, these are the questions that INS is gonna ask us." You tell him as you look over it. "Now, the good news is that I know everything about you, but the bad news is that you have four days to learn all this about me. So, you should.. probably get to studying." You say and he just takes the binder from you. Sighing, you turn to look out the window, while he reads.

"You know all these answers to these questions about me?" He asks you, unconvinced.

"Scary, isn't it?" You say, still looking out the window.

"A little bit. What am I allergic to?"

"Pine nuts. And the full spectrum of human emotion." You answer.

"Oh, that's.. that was funny." He chuckles sarcastically. "Oh, here's a good one. Do I have any scars?"

"I'm pretty sure you have a tattoo." You say turning to him.

"Oh, you're pretty sure?"

"I'm pretty sure. Two years ago, your dermatologist called and asked about a Q-switched laser. I of course Googled a Q-switched laser and found that they in fact do remove tattoos." You say and he mumbles the last part in unison with you. "But you cancelled your appointment.. So what it is? Tribal ink? Japanese calligraphy? Barbed wire?"

"You know, it's exiting for me to experience you like this." Garret says sarcastically, looking annoyed with you.

"Thank you. You're gonna have to tell me where it is, though."

"No, I'm not."

"They're gonna ask."

"We're done with that question. On to another question. Let me see. Let me see. Oh, here's one. Whose place do we stay at, yours or mine? That's easy. Mine."

"And why wouldn't we stay at mine?" You ask him.

"Because I live at Central Park West. And you probably live at some squalid little studio apartment with stacks of yellowed Penguin Classics." He says without care and you stare at the side of his face, holding back your anger and hurt.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts. We are begging our descent into Juneau." The flight attendant announce.

"Juneau? I thought we were going to Sitka." Garrett asks as he fastens his seatbelt.

"We are."

"Well, how are we getting to Sitka?"

...

Garrett holds his briefcase on his lap, sitting angrily at the seat beside you in the smaller plane as it rumbles and rattles, he has to hold the seat in front of him as the plane shakes everyone in their seats. You just sit there there and read the papers over again. Seeing the mountains in your peripheral vision, you look out the windows with a sigh. Feeling both exited and anxious to see your family again. The plane lands and outside you can see your mother and grandmother jumping excitedly with big welcome home signs.