Chapter 11 - What it's like to have a Family

"I forgot what it was like to have a family!"

"Hey, buddy." You greet Ramone as you walk into the store with Garrett.

"Yn, hey!"

"You got that phone I ordered?"

"Yes it came in."

"Great."

He heads to find the phone for you. Garrett follows you further in to the store as you grab a few things.

"Guess what." You say.

"What?" Garrett ask.

"Fun fact about Yn number 11: I like Pringles." You tell him, grabbing your favourite flavour. It happened to be behind him so you reach around him, he doesn't move just look down at you as you lean close to grab the Pringles behind him.

"Mhm. Okay." He notes it in his mind.

"They're delicious. All Hostess products. Coke, never Pepsi, and beef jerky."

"What, are you, like 13?"

"Mmm." You hum looking down at the bag with all the good snacks.

"Here you go." Ramone hands you the phone box. "It's all charged up, Yn."

"Thanks, buddy." You tell him and go to leave the store.

"I put your man's number in, too." He adds and hand the phone to him.

"Thank you." He says but Ramone pulls it away from his reach with a squeak and then reach it out for him again, only to pull it away when he reaches for it. "Thank you." Garrett says grabbing it, staring weirdly at the smiling man.

Garrett speed walk to catch up with you and get out the store.

"I have 37 messages." Garrett says going through the phone outside the store. "Shit! I need a computer. Is there a computer in this godforsaken town?"

...

"Okay. So, when it runs out, it gives a warning. Just put in more dimes." You tell him and hold the dimes out for him. "Here you go."

"Your kidding. Dimes?" He takes the dimes.

"Come on, Kels." You hear and look up to see Gert outside.

"What am I supposed to.."

"I'll be outside." You tell him and walk out the door. "You'll be fine."

"Okay. I can figure this out. I'm an intelligent man. Block 'em out, block 'em out, block 'em out. There you go." He says as he does it. Then only hearing weird sounds coming from it he turns to the man behind the counter. "Uh, excuse me?" He says but gets ignored, he sighs and turns back to the computer, just then it comes on and he starts getting to it.

Glancing out the window he sees you talking with Gert, an uncomfortable feeling grows, but he keeps looking sombrely at the two of you.

...

Later you walk beside Garrett through the town.