Chapter 8 - Family Issues

"Why are you naked!?"

Your dad had told you earlier that he wanted to see you after you came back, so you went down to the water to see him.

"You wanted to see me?" You ask when you walk up to him. He's playing golf, trying to hit a hole on a floating thing in the water ahead.

"Your mom found these eco-balls. They dissolve in water." He tells you. "I don't know how she comes up with this stuff.. Anyway, she, uh.. is a little peeved. Apparently I wasn't the most gracious host last night.. It was a little bit of a shock, to find out that you're getting married, especially when none of us even knew you were dating.. The point is.. I owe you an apology."

"Accepted." You tell him with a nod, then go to take a golf club.

"There's something else.. I've been going over my retirement plans recently, and it got me thinking. I've done a lot of things in my life. Practically built an empire with your mother from the ground up.. but it doesn't mean anything, unless.."

"Unless you have someone to leave it to." You finish for him. "Yeah, we already discussed this."

"I'd like to discuss it again. You have responsibilities here. I think I've been more than understanding about you goofing off in New York. I need you to quit playing around.."

"Here we go again." You sigh. "When are you going to take what I do seriously?"

"When you start acting seriously."

"I'm sorry.. I feel sorry for you, Dad. I wish you had another child. I really do.. One who wanted to stay here. One who wanted to take over the family business. One who wanted to marry someone that you approve of, but it's not me.. Now, it must seem strange to you, my life in New York, sitting in a an office, reading books. But it makes me happy. Do you understand?"

"If that's what makes you happy, daughter, I got nothing to say."

"Well, that's a first. You know what? Apology not accepted. Have fun out here." You say and throw the golf club back.

...

Garrett was inside the house when he hears Gammy call for your mother, being close by he went to see what was up.

"Oh, no." Grace says, seeing you outside, chopping the wood on an old canoe.

Garrett follows her line of sight to you outside, he walks out after her on to the porch.

"Yn, honey, is everything okay?" She shouts, but you have earplugs so you don't hear her.

"What's she doing?" Garrett asks, frowning.

"Uh, something's up. It's best to leave her alone. Come on." Gammy tells him and gestures for him to go back inside with them.

But he stays there and watch you for a moment. You had taken off your shirt, having a sports brah under it. You were strong, though you didn't have too strong of a physique, you looked very fit. He'd maybe even bet you were stronger than him, which didn't really bother him. Then he wondered why he was thinking like this. Your sweaty upper body shines in the sun, so he moves his gaze and walk inside to take a shower.