Disarray

SORRY ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR

Right when Wednesday wakes up, just for a moment, she's spared and only feels her body and mind stumbling out of sleep, nothing more.

It is all so simple, her eyelids quickly losing their heavy weight that made her fall asleep beforehand, the dark sheets of her bed sliding off of her as she moves to sit at the side of her bed, legs dangling off.

The morning light from her tall skinny window is gentle, and a sliver of color reflects from the mirror onto the wall, everything is still and nice.

But of course, Wednesday catches the black screen of her phone over on her desk and she instantly is reminded of her phone call with Enid last night.

She can't stop the frown that finds itself pulling her lips down, embarrassing words and confessions coming back to her.

"I think you like Tyler."

Wednesday huffs, mumbling at the ridiculously wrong statement. It's completely inaccurate.

Well-

No, it's not correct in the slightest.

Even when Wednesday sits there for a good minute with heat smarting under her cheeks as she shoves away the image of Tyler.

She fixes herself up with a firm shake of her head, bringing her palm to her forehead after in an attempt to dismiss any thoughts about Tyler Galpin and the "crush" Enid thinks she has on him.

(She really hopes she doesn't have one.)

Instead of indulging even the idea of it, Wednesday instead gets out of her bed and gets ready.

She is determined to move throughout the weekend without a single Galpin thought. She can do it all without thinking of her co-worker. She's strong. Can be in any situation.

She sets out to further prove this- to herself, if anyone- as she walks into the building where she works two days later, the gracious heels of her shoes sending dull clacks throughout the floor as she moves across the tiled room. She situates herself in the elevator, composed and willing to take anything head-on, determination restored after her morning routine she completed at home.

Of course, the universe has this funny little way of doing things. Maybe some running gag it likes to play whenever Wednesday wakes up and decides to be productive and controlled- something of the sort must be happening. Because Tyler himself is rushing to the elevator as the doors start to close, his stupid jacket flying behind where it rests across his shoulders like a drape before he tugs it back over, preventing it from falling to the ground.

He sticks his foot in between the door with a grunt, then sighs when it opens back up. "Oh, phew."

Wednesday observes him, scooting over wordlessly to the wall on the right as he settles himself, awkwardly shuffling into the elevator.

He presses the same button Wednesday had, and she doesn't bother to make any sort of remark or comments, keeping to herself this time.

Because she doesn't like Tyler, therefore she obviously has no desire to make irrelevant small talk over a backtrack of lifeless elevator noises and squeaky shoes.

Enid is wrong. Wednesday bites her cheek, staring down at the messily reflective material of the wall on her right. Even the possibility to assume Wednesday would like somebody so much as distantly similar to Tyler is frankly, not a good skill to have, it requires a very far stretch of reason. So she anchors down that she's right, Enid's not, and mentally thinks about how she probably could've set out on a different path during the call if only to not misdirect Enid into throwing the accusation out there. In fact, maybe she could've not called about Tyler at all, just said hello and contently listen to Enid talk about herself and her life.