Jealousy is poison

~Clint's pov~
"Um okay. Let me call cap and let him know I will go in later." I said picking up my phone. I dialed steve. "Hello? He said. "Hey cap. I'm here at the hospital with Brooks. I think someone should stay with her so she's not alone. I can stay." I said. "Nick needs you back at work. I'll come down and stay with her." Captain said. Then he hung up. "Uh Brooks? I have to go back. Nick needs me. Cap is coming though okay? I will be back when I can. I promise." I said. "Why does nick need you? Is it a mission?" She asked. "I'm not sure. Steve just said fury needed me. I'm sorry Brooks." I said genuinely sad that I couldn't stay. "It's okay. Be careful alright? I don't want you to be here because you have to be." she said slightly giggling. She's so cute when she does that.

~Steve's pov~
I got on my motorcycle to head to the hospital. Brooks needed someone to be with. I wanted to be there for her. Even if that meant giving nick a fake mission to give to Clint. I parked and ran to her room. She looked beautiful even injured. "Hey agent. Why is it that your the only one badass enough to get checked into intensive care?" I asked. "Because you guys are wimps" she said laughing. Her laugh is adorable. "You can sit if you want. I won't bite." She said pointing to the chair next to her bed. "You might not bite but you will smash." I said laughing.
~Brook's pov~
His laugh was genuine. Genuine happiness. Unlike some of the others. It felt good to know someone on the team was happy. It felt even better to know it was Steve. He hasn't always been this happy. I kinda wanted to kiss him right now. He looked so cute. "Hey so why did nick need Clint?" I asked. "I'm not sure." He said. He was lying. I could tell. "Steve your an awful liar." I said. "nick needs him for a mission." He said. "Your still lying." I said. "How do you know?" He asked. "your eyes look different. Harsher. You lick your lips a lot. The biggest one is you won't look me in the eye." I said. "Brooks?" He said. "Yeah?" I replied. "I have never told you this before but, I think I might be falling in love with you." He said. I wanted to explode right then and there. Truth is I didn't know if I felt the same way. There was someone else. with Steve it felt right. With the other, I felt alive. So what do I do? This. I pushed myself out of the hospital bed and grabbed him. He looked scared. "What's wrong captain? Afraid of the dark?" I asked as I kissed him passionately. "Not at all." He replied.

~Phoenix's pov~
"How is she? Is she gonna be okay?" I asked Clint as he rushed by. "Yeah she will. But I have to go." He said. "Where? Let me come with!" I said. "Uh I'm headed to the hospital. I guess you can come if you want." He said. We hopped in his car. When we got to the hospital we saw the nurse taking a body to the morgue. It was a girl. "Steve should be here Phoenix." Clint said. I nodded. We walked into Brooks' room to see her with Steve. They were holding hands. I looked over at Clint. He looked sad. "Well I hope your feeling better Brooks." He said and walked out. Brooks looked confused. "Steve can i talk to Brooks alone for a minute?" I asked.
~Brooks pov~
Steve nodded and walked out. "What the hell?" Phoenix said. "Clint. Why did he leave?" I asked but I knew the answer. I just had to hear it from someone. "He loves you Brooks." she said. "Clint loves you." And I chose captian. But I loved them both. How could I tell captain that I love Clint too. "Okay" was the only thing I could manage to say. "Okay? That's it?" Phoenix asked. Yes that wAs all I could say. I nodded. She walked out. And now I was alone. Like I was before shield.
~Steve's pov~
I walked out to see Clint standing by the doorway. "What was that?" I asked. "I just wanted her to know I hope she was feeling better. That's the only reason I came back. So why drag it out?" He replied. "Clint come on. What's wrong?" I asked. Pushing a little more. "So y'all are a thing now?" He asked. I didn't really know how to answer that. I didn't know the answer. "I don't know. Why?" I said. "Y'all were holding hands. Who knows what you did before we got here." He said angrily. "So that's what's wrong. Little baby Hawkeye is jealous. He wants to be the hero. But truth is you aren't one now and chances are. You won't ever be." I said. As soon as I said it I wanted to take it back. Clint was my best friend. He always doubted himself and I just dug the knife deeper. "Hawkeye I didn't." I said before he cut me off. "I don't want to hear it cap." He said and stormed off. Leaving me alone. Just like I was before shield.

~authors note~
Okay so I'm just gonna clarify a few things. In this story Hawkeye doesn't have a family. So anyone that's freaking out about him cheating, he's not. Second thing there are a few things that are going to lead up to the backstory. When Brooks asked captian if he was afraid of the dark she meant evil. Steve has a pure heart and she doesn't (which will be in the backstory)
She uses darkness as a metaphor. Also when they say they are alone just like before shield that is gonna be a backstory. Anyway, thanks for making Brooks and Phoenix a part of your reading! I love y'all!
Love,
Braelyn Brooks
Ps. I want to thank iluvcows7 for helping me with this book. I don't know what I would do without her!