Nothing like starting over

~Brooks pov~
I woke up with a jolt. Tears rushing down my face. I had the worst dream I could ever have.

I was walking alone through the woods when I came to a clearing. It was Covered in ash. I saw him laying there. "Steve?" I yelled. I ran over to him and checked for a pulse. Not much. "Steve it's okay I'm here." I said. He grabbed my arm. "You.... Could've....saved...us" he coughed. I looked up to see all of the avengers. Sprawled out on the ground. All dead. Then I saw what broke my heart even more. Steve's shield was broken. In half. "Steve. I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry. I love you." I said as I kissed his forehead and his last breath escaped his lips.

I was living in an old run down factory right now. My truck was to small. I had everything I needed. I had my clothes, pillow, blanket. I grabbed some food and water before I left shield. I grabbed my motorcycle too. It was in the bed of my truck. I had so many good memories with it I couldn't bare to leave it behind. I still had my agent uniform on when I left. I kept my badge too. Just in case. I had about 100 dollars cash in my wallet. And my phone. Steve called my 24 times, left 17 voicemails and 137 texts. He wasn't gonna get a response because then they could track it. I wanted to tell him I was okay and that I love him but I couldn't. I changed into a pair of jeans and a crop top with "what doesn't kill me better start running" printed on the front. I walked down to the bar across the street. "A shot of fireball please" I said to the bartender. I looked around. I was 4000 miles away from the stark tower. That should be far enough away to not see any shield agents. But my paranoid self looked around anyway. I didn't see anyone. I figured no one actually cared. Steve probably didn't even realize I was gone yet. The avengers probably ripped up their notes. No one would even notice I was gone. But someone did. As soon as I saw his face I recognized him. Agent ward. Agent grant ward. Fuck. "Brooks?" He asked. I turned around and smiled. "Hey. You know they are looking for you back at HQ right?" He said. I nodded. "I don't want to go back ward. I've had enough." I said. "He misses you, you know." Ward said. I nodded again. "Come here" I said grabbing his arm and leading him to my truck. I drove to the factory I live in. I showed him around. "You know me well enough by now to know that I don't do lonely well. But this is all I have ward." I said. He looked me dead in the eye. "Your not alone brooks. You never have been." He said. "I will stay as long as you need me." He smiled. I nodded. He leaned in to kiss me. I pushed him away. "Really? That's why your here. I still love Steve. I always will. Don't ever do that again. And also get out." I said pushing him away. "Your coming." He said grabbing me. "Back to shield. Get your stuff. Load up the truck and let's go." He said. I fought to get loose but honestly I didn't really want to. I wanted a reason to go back. "Okay." I snapped. I loaded up what I had. "I'll drive." He said. "Know how to drive a stick?" I asked. He nodded.
~6 hours later. Brooks pov~
We arrived at shield. I unloaded the motorcycle and put it next to Steve's. I walked into my bunker to see my personal file laying on the bed. I saw the letters MIA printed on the cover. They think i am missing in action. I turned around to walk out when she was standing there crying. "You. You came back." Phoenix ran up and hugged me. I started to cry. "I couldn't leave my best friend." She looked up and smiled. "Well let's go see the others!" She smiled bigger. We walked into the conference to see them all sitting at a table. Romanoff noticed me first. She got up and walked over. She hugged me. "Don't ever. Do that again." She smiled. After very long "we missed you" speeches Steve stood up. "I'm back." I smiled. He just looked right through me. "Why? You didn't even wake me up." He frowned. "I didn't want to be found babe." I said. He walked up to me. "What are we brooks?" He asked. He had asked me this before. When he recruited me. "We're a team." I said. He picked me up and kissed me. "Always and forever." I smiled. Just then a girl I didn't recognize walked up. "Hi I'm Cassie." She smiled. She was wearing black leggings, a black tank top with a camo jacket over it and a pair of cowboy boots. "She was your replacement." Tony said running into my shoulder and walking out. "I'm sorry. I...I didn't mean to take your place." Cassie stuttered. "No it's okay. I wasn't planning on coming back." I said. "Did you give her my room?" I asked Steve. "I tried to protest I'm sorry brooks." I nodded. "She can have it. I can live in my truck." No. You can live in my room. It's big enough." Steve said. "It's against protocol." I said. "She can be my roommate. Their are 2 beds in the room." Said Cassie. I smiled. She seemed nice. "I'll go get my stuff" I said. "Oh and Steve I parked my motorcycle next to yours." I said and went to get my stuff. This is gonna be an interesting night.