Chapter 26

Nkosi's family:
"Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda"
"Umakoti"

"Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda"
"Umakoti"

"Yiyiiiii"
"Sizomlanda"
"Yiyiiiii"
"Sizomlanda"
"Sizomlanda umakoti"

"Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda"
"Umakoti"

"Uthe ubhuti asizomlanda"
"Umakoti"

"Yiyiiiii"
"Sizomlanda"
"Yiyiiiii"
"Sizomlanda"
"Sizomlanda umakoti"
(Ululating)

Our families are both sing on opposite sides of the gate, mine outside the yard and his inside. I am covered in a blanket and my head is down most of the time but I often take glimpses, his brothers are in the front singing begiya, Thembinkosi, Mandla, Mxolisi and Kagiso are his groomsmen, they are wearing your traditional Zulu clothing ibeshu ne slene, imbata nomqhele. I also saw uMah no Baba also in matching outfits, uMah is singing with the other women and uBaba is leading the family with his brothers and just behind him is the love of my life, umyeni wami, my cheeks instantly feel hot and the singing starts fading away. After a few minutes my trance is broken by his touch on my hand and the sound of his voice.

Him: Finally.

I look up at him and smile, he too is wearing the same outfit as the others, he took lead and I followed him to one of the houses. Our families are now singing together and ululating is heard all around as well as men throwing clan praises here and there. We get into the house and head to one of the rooms, immediately when we get in, I am attacked with a passionate kiss, we break it before everyone else comes in, the guests were outside being given orders by the program director on what's to happen and where to go.

Him: I've been waiting soo long to do that.

I giggle
Me: Sawubona Gatsheni.

Him: Sawubona Mama.

Just then his mom, aunts, my mom and Phiwe walk in.

Ma: Ngane yami I know you're excited to see your bride kodwa we need her right now.

Him: Okay ma, I'll see you in a bit.

I smile at him and he leaves the room, judging by the voices he is still in the house with his groomsmen and my bridesmaids. Eventually they leave and it is just my girls, we are going to do the actual Mabo ceremony by the huge open space inside the yard.

Ma comes and gives me a hug.

Ma: Ngane yam waze wasibusisa unkululu ngawe, by bringing you into Nkosinathi's life.

Me: Awu Ma yimina onenhlanhla.

This lady is the sweetest she has such a peaceful soul, you wouldn't think she's Nkosi and his brothers' mother. I take off the outfit I came in and they help me get into the my second one which is isidwaba, a white vest, mbata, isicholo which was blue and had beads hanging in the front like a veil and mbatata shoes. Once I am almost done, the photographer comes in and takes some photos. I had a beaded necklace, bracelets and anklets and I was given ihawu encane nomkonto.

Ma: Sizokubona ke sisi.

She smiles and her with Nkosi's aunts leave the room and go join the rest, my mother smiles, holds my hand and we pray, when we are done a knock surfaces on the door.

Dad: Sthandwa Sami seni qedile?

Mom: Yebo Baba.

He walkes in and when he sees me his eyes glisten, he comes closer and gives me a hug before pulling away after a while, my father is a man of very few words, he just smiles.

Dad: Asambeni ke.

That's when I realise that the house we are in is mostly empty except for the bed which had my attire on, we walk out and the lounge/ mini kitchen too is empty with just a few chairs. My girls stand up and let out some shrieks, we take selfies while everyone is making sure everything is ready to go, within seconds most of my family is by the door singing and my male cousin and Langa carrying my kist. I walk out with my girls by my side and we are walking behind the kist with everyone else behind holding blankets and all the other gifts. The yard is huge, it has the tent which was big enough to accommodate 800 people because we were expecting many people, we both come from big families, his being bigger as well as distant relatives and friends not forgetting the community, some people from Bergville were also coming, I overheard my uncle and father talking about getting 20 mini buses to transport them to and from. The singing grows louder the closer we get and I see him and a few of his male relatives sitting on chairs.
-
-
-
-
-