058. ━ a big change

chapter fifty-eight ━ a big change( season nine, episode fifteen )

( season nine, episode fifteen )

❝You know how you have four sisters?
Well, they all just got a picture of
their big brother on an elevator door.❞

"LOOK, I KNOW this is drastic and insane, but I'm telling you that we can't let this deal go through." Ellie was sitting in Meredith and Derek's house with them and Arizona. "If Pegasus were running this hospital, we'd have no opportunity to do what we got into medicine to do. No research, no innovation, nothing."

"And how do you know all of this?" Arizona asked her, crossing her arms. "I know you know a lot, but unless you've experienced all this, how do we know it's the truth?"

She shrugged. "A friend came through for me."

Derek furrowed his brows. "What?"

She sighed. "I couldn't leave the hospital when so much was happening, so Richard went to a hospital in Portland. One that was bought by Pegasus and the things he found... it's not a hospital, it's a business. And I know this is complicated, and maybe it's partially our fault, but we have to. We have to buy the hospital."

"Woah, let's just slow down," Arizona said.

Meredith shrugged. "Maybe she's right..."

"Just wait," Arizona said again and they all turned to look at her. "What if we don't want to? I'm sorry, but it's never been my dream to run a hospital."

Ellie sighed. "Where's Cristina?" she asked Meredith.

"I've been texting her."

"I just got back to work," Arizona continued and Ellie met her gaze. "And, Derek, you just got your hand back. Don't you want to just work?"

"But where would we be working?" Ellie asked her, letting out a breath. "Do you want a little robot telling you which patients you can and cannot treat? Because I don't know about you, but I don't. I'd rather help people."

Meredith nodded. "Or how about putting a stopwatch on how much time you can spend with them," she added, seemingly the only person completely in agreement with Ellie.

"Exactly," Ellie agreed. "I know it's not what you want, Arizona, but if we did this... we would be making the policies. We have the experience."

"No offense, Ellie, but that's a bit of a naive way to describe it." She looked over at Derek. "I wanted it once and hated it." She sighed and shook her head. "We should stay the course. I made a deal with Pegasus that apparently will help the sale."

Ellie and Meredith glanced at each other. "What deal?"

"Nothing, it's stupid," he replied, dismissing the topic. "But maybe that's how we make it work, from the inside."