21

A new year was upon them. It was a bright morning, a fresh year. After an attempted assassination on the King, his mental health started diminishing. This was an opportunity and soon Yunlan was crowned. As soon as Yunlan sat on the throne, he threw out all the corrupt officials and sentenced them to death for committing treason. The Shen family regained back their properties, prestige and their position in the court. The public opinion was in support of Yunlan and thankful for all the good deeds he had done for them.

But all this did not make Yunlan happy. He was just a empty shell living the rules of the world. He had promised Wei that he would be happy. Even though Yunlan knows he could not be happy without him, but he would still keep him in his heart until his end.

It had been a few months since Wei's death and he had arranged a grand memorial service for him and was buried with great honor. Days after days Yunlan dreamed of Wei, where he would be blamed for taking two lives. He knew his Wei would never blame him, but he did feel guilty for killing him. But the thing he never understood was about two lives. So he decided to hold a court and invite Wei's brother who was now the head of the Shen family.

"Your Majesty, you called?" Wei's brother bows his head with respect.

"The reason I called you here is because of Wei. Even though we held a memorial service....the closer we are to the date the more I cry in my dreams. I want to know if you are still hiding something?"

Wei's brother was surprised at Yunlan's words. He knew he did a great mistake by not telling Yunlan about the baby. He immediately kowtows and bangs his head on the floor begging to kill him.

Yunlan immediately stands up worried "How could I kill you. As expected, you are indeed hiding something"

"I apologise, Your Majesty. That.... actually.....h-he was carrying Your Majesty's child in his womb"

Yunlan was shocked. His eyes buldged with surprise. He was shaking. He could not speak at all. It hurt him deeper than anything. In order not to lose his composure in front of the court, he dismissed them and retired in his room....making sure no one disturbs him until he says so.

As soon as Yunlan closes the door of his chamber, he falls to the ground and bows down.

"Aaaaahhhhhhhhh....Aaahhhhhh. How could I?...H-How could I?....I-I-I....with this hand....I killed my lover and my child. I am sorry, Wei. I am so sorry..."

Yunlan holds onto one of Wei's clothes and cries his heart out as he continuously apologises to Wei. His heart was broken into pieces. He had already lost his lover but now he also lost his child. He was a murderer who killed his own mate...he did not deserve such a beautiful soul.

*****

The dragon who lost his mate grew alone, with grief. He had ruled the throne for over 20 years now. He had suffered loneliness all these years. He still had Wei's spirit in his heart. He refused to marry anyone than his one true mate and stayed single his whole life.

Yunlan was standing in front of the apricot blossoms tree where he had met Wei for the first time when they were kids. His cousin was standing beside him waiting to question Yunlan.

"Gege...until how long are you going to suffer? I know you still miss your departed mate but....you are a King now...and you need a heir to the throne. Please consider the marriage proposal with the daughter of one of the officials"

"That's not possible. I vowed to myself to never marry in this life. The only person I will marry is my Wei. Do not worry about my heir....I have already choose to give my throne to your son. If Yool rules, I will be at peace"