Chapter 1: The Beginning

I believe in the heart of hearts that I would never be with anyone. At age thirteen in the sixth grade, I had a major crush on this boy named Bryan (no, that isn't misspelled). All I kept imagining that year was how much I wanted to be a part of his life. I didn't like other boys in my class at that point. Not gonna hide the fact that I did date other boys in the class to make him jealous. Did it work? No. As it was proven, he didn't see me the way I saw him. I would gush over Bryan even when we drove by his Dad's house. I swore my mother did it on purpose at times just to see me get all flustered.

Bryan is tanned, thin, and well, he dressed like a redneck. Hint: my type. He always had a shaved head. From what I remember his Dad was strict on that. He always had his shirts tucked in, tight blue jeans with a buckle, and boots. I wasn't lying when I had a crush on him back then. Imagine your special cowboy in your life that was what he looked like to me. Sadly, me and him never got to be friends. I didn't get to know him because each time after class, he would run away and make fun of me. Imagine the hurt of a girl who just wanted someone to see her but not in a sexual way or be used. I would call for Bryan but he would always give the phone to his brother. He would flat out refuse to talk to me or be my friend. I would get a few words out of him then he would hand it to Larry. It would literally break my heart too and knowing Larry had to come up with reasons why Bryan wouldn't talk to me.

Anyways, Valentines finally hit that year. I remember being so excited to possibly get a card from Bryan himself. I have even told my mom that was my wish. I had daydreamed of being with him, knowing his parents, and well, if he had a sibling I didn't know. In sixth grade, I knew where I was meant to be and had my heart set on being with him. The whole class was able to pass around our cards and have snacks, it turned out to be a good day until I got to his card. This is where I felt my world slip from me. Not only did he confess anything, he gave me a number to his older brother Larry also known as Junior to most. I went up to Bryan and said, "Are you sure this is meant for me?" He laughed and replied, "Yes." And as a young teen, I didn't know how to react because it wasn't in an older person's writing, it was in his. I was confused and happy at the same time. Like okay, maybe this older guy might be interested in me but does he know I exist? I didn't even know our ages or anything. All I knew was that Bryan wanted to get rid of me and so he did. Bryan broke my heart, yes, and I didn't forgive him for bullying me.

That evening when I got home from school. Mom asked as always how was school and I felt like a broken heart had shattered. Though, I wasn't too heart broken. I still had a boyfriend at the time named JoeL. We were off and on for several months at that point, nothing serious. Mom would beg me to move on. Find someone new because JoeL wasn't worth waiting for. She was right on that. After a couple days from receiving the Valentines Card from Bryan, I got the courage to call Larry.

I don't remember when I exactly quit calling for Bryan but once I did, I ended up talking to Larry and after all the nerves from calling almost every night, I would find relief in finding a friend even though he was older than me. We got to know each other, he would let me speak about my school days, and venting to him on my bad days. Hearing his voice each day on the other end made me realize that I was slowly falling for him without meeting him. You read that correctly from ages thirteen to fifteen, three years of speaking to one another over the phone, I felt like I found my better half. Now, mind you he is three years older than me. This makes me laugh though Larry and his dad Larry Sr. sound alike even when I would call, I would easily get their voices confused. I still didn't catch on as much as I would call and hear his voice. Our lives moved on for about a year before I contacted him again and it was for a very special reason.