blue is the color of sadness and avoidance (CHLOE'S POV)

that's what my brother always tells me.

whenever i'm sad, crying, or unhappy in general, chad would always remind me what my favorite color represented. and today, I heard him reminding me inside my head. but this time, it was different.

I believed him.

red had just told me basically the core part of her trauma. it made me break down, I was a puddle of waterworks crumbled in the redhead's warm embrace.  I truly regret freaking out on her like that, she should be receiving comfort, not me. I was just so angry at bridget for doing such cruel things to red that I couldn't even handle my own emotions. it was anger, rage, woe, melancholy, heartache, sorrow, infuriation. but most of all, it was sadness.

it's now the next morning, we fell asleep early, 8 o'clock maybe? my phone alarm vibrated and sang a bird song in my pocket. I quickly reached for my phone to turn it off. it was now 5:45 in the morning. the sun was rising, the birds were chirping, the plants were rustling in the wind. I suddenly realized what position I was in. I had fallen asleep with my head lying on the girl's shoulder, right arm wrapped around her stomach.

I even went to bed without taking care of my hygiene. gosh, I never even brushed my teeth! how disgusting of me! or changed my clothes... or put on my bonnet... jeez my hair is going to need some major help...

stop.

I needed to stop and remember last night. it's okay that I sacrificed my cleanliness for one night. it was an important moment that more valuable than the quality of my personal hygiene.

I then realized the red had started to awaken.
not fully, though. she only groaned at the sound of my obnoxious alarm I shook her shoulder. I whispered to her sweetly, "wake up, sleepy." she only groaned at me once again. I shook her shoulder. "hey little cardinal, you ready to seize the day?"

she growned once more and spoke, "what the hell is a cardinal, and why are you comparing me to one?" she mumbled at me in annoyance.

"first of all, language, and second-" "language? you curse too sometimes! why can't I?" she interrupted me. "because when you do it it sounds mean." she rolled her eyes at that statement. "anyway, a cardinal is a bird. here, let me find a picture." I opened my phone and typed 'cardinal bird picture' into google. I turned my phone around to exhibit the image on my screen.

(this is the picture she showed her! and that's what a cardinal looks like if you have never seen one

(this is the picture she showed her! and that's what a cardinal looks like if you have never seen one. <3)

she stared at my phone, then glared at me. "I look nothing like that. also, what's up with you calling me nicknames now?"

she fell right into my trap. I started rambling about all the nicknames I had lined up. "well funny you ask, I have many nicknames i've been thinking of for you. there is cardinal, hot tamale, tomato head, leprechaun-since you're a red head and stuff, you know? uh, santa clause, mrs. clause-" she interrupted me, per usual. "okay! so, you are never calling me any of those names, thank you!" "fine, then i'll just have to search for other nicknames on google, hmph!" I said, crossing my arms in pride. we giggled and finally got up to start getting ready. we had almost two hours to get ready, that should be plenty of time.