Chapter Two, The Tavern Inn.

I blinked awake, my eyes falling towards the window. It's snowing. It looks so beautiful outside. My grandma always told me that when it snows, the world is cleansing itself of the last season. I don't know how true that is for here, though. Because oh my goodness... If it isn't snowing, it's raining, and if it isn't raining, then we are forever covered by a thick shell of clouds covering the town.

But I digress. I had the strangest dream last night. I was in this hallway. It was unlike anything I have ever seen before. It had the largest, most beautiful stain glass windows I've ever seen. It was dark. The hall was lit with these candles, and each candle was a little bit shorter than the last one, and at the last candle was one of those men. It was the creepiest thing. I normally don't have too many dreams. Too many nightmares, I should say, I have lots of dreams. But last night's just left me with the same feeling I had when I left that butcher shop yesterday. Dread.

I silently brushed my hair, tying it back in a braid. I silently walked down the staircase, into the main room. The girls were working on their schoolwork. The boys are in here, too. Which is strange... 
Up until they are twelve, the boys get a choice. They can do school, or they can do chores. Most of the time, they want to be outside. But when they are twelve, they HAVE to learn how to read. It is a necessity in the house.

Father was always very keen on reading. He taught all of us how to read. Most of us how to read. Some of the boys still don't know how to read. It's not much of a choice. So why would they choose to be in here, today?

"Good morning, Adam." I said, getting down on his level, "I'm surprised you're in here, not outside playing with the cows." 
"Well- Well I would be, but Mr. Hayton told me to be in here!! All of us." 
"Oh, really?" I asked, glancing over at Allen, "You too?" 
"Yeah... He said that he wanted to speak with Mrs. Hayton, but- But he's not letting any of us go outside!"

"I wonder why." I said, standing up and glancing back. 
"They took Isaac, that's why!!"

"Who did?!" I asked, standing up and glancing over at Izzie, who was in a fit of tears. I quickly walked over and grabbed her hands, "What happened?"

"These knights came in here and took him, and we don't know why..." Izzie cried, "He's all we have, Florie..."

"I know-" I glanced outside the front window, where a knight was standing, with Isaac. There it is, that feeling of dread, once more. I quickly stood up and shut all of the curtains, "Okay, I will be right back, I'll- I'll be right back." 
A nod.

I walked over to Father's office, knocking on the door, repeatedly. 
"What?! We are speaking-" 
"Father!!" I said, "Let me in, please!!"

Mother opened up the door, "Sweetie, hi."

"Hi." I said, "What is happening to Isaac?" 
"They are holding him hostage. They will not release him until we give them-" 
"Money? We can- We have money, I'll give-" 
"No, they want you, Florence." Father exhaled, "And we won't let them take you, so we are coming up with something else that they may have."

"Yes." Mother exhaled, "Like the pigs? They can have the pigs, surely." 
"Y- Yes, whatever it takes." I said, "Why do they want me?"

"It doesn't matter why they want you. They may not have you." Father spoke, staring down at his notepad, "We are safe in here, we need to figure out a way to get Isaac back in here." 
I nodded my head, "Mhm." 
Mother sighed and rested her head in her hands, "gosh, I feel like I am going to be sick." 
Father sighed and picked up her hand, squeezing it, "All is well, Alice." 
"No, they have Isaac." She exhaled, "All is not well, it most certainly-" 
"We could offer them food, do you think?" Father asked, "I shall speak with them." 
"No, you can't-" 
"I will." Father exhaled, standing up, "Just give me a moment." 
Ugh... I feel sick. Why would they take Isaac?