Chapter Three, Oakley Estate.

I stared down at my plate, stirring the stew around in my bowl. I'm struggling to believe that I am here. I wanted to be out for as long as I can remember, but not like this. Never like this... I didn't sleep last night. All I can think about is how Father sent me here. I can't believe he did. I don't know. It's one of those things that I am convinced I will think about until the day I die.

"Miss Hayton." 
I glanced up from my plate, at the older man, "We paid good money for that food, I insist that you eat."

"I- I will, I'm sorry," I said, "I- I just- I was- I had a question."

"What's that?" He exhaled, nodding his head. 
"I- I was just wondering what we will be doing, at the Oakley Estate." 
"Well. I am afraid that is none of your concern, Miss Hayton. Eat your food."

The tavern is quiet this morning. Probably because no one ever goes out to eat breakfast. Not unless you are staying at a tavern. I have never stayed at a tavern before, let alone ate at one. I lived in. Gosh, I don't remember the name. I've lived in the kingdom of Danon my whole life, but I just can't put my finger on what that name is.

"So, tell me, do any of you know how to read?" 
Sybil and I both nod. Jane shook her head, "No.." 
"Very well." he sighed, "We shall get you a tutor, then." 
Jane took in a deep breath and nodded her head, sighing, "Okay. Thank you."

"And your skills, do any of you know things like. Embroidery, sewing, musical instruments?" 
I nod. 
"I can sew, yes." Sybil exhaled. 
"Do you play music?" 
She shook her head, sighing, "no. I don't know how to do that." 
"Very well." he exhaled, "Anthony shall teach you. Florence, Jane, do either of you?" 
"I- I can play the piano." I said, "And- And the flute." 
"Wonderful, I am very glad to hear that." He sighed, "Very well." 
"But why- Why is that important to know?" Jane asked, "Why would- Why would any of that matter, if-" 
"Miss Bayne." He exhaled, "That is not of importance for you to know right now."

"Well don't you think it's fair we at least know your name, then?" Sybil said, quite bluntly.

He nods and sighs, "Yes, I am Piers. You've met Anthony. And then that there is our most trusted server, Giles."

Sybil silently nodded her head, turning her attention back to her plate.

It irks me how calm she is. She's acting as if this is a usual Sunday morning for her. It most certainly isn't, for me.

They gave us some sort of stew. It's old, you can tell. It's quite a busy tavern, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a few days old. That's what it tastes like, at least. The boys have got themselves full meals, roast, potatoes, bread. Sure, Mother made the same thing yesterday, but I can't help but want that instead. Maybe it would taste a little bit more like home. I don't know.

"Miss Hayton, if I have to tell you to eat once more, you will be in for a mighty punishment, do you hear me?" Piers said, sternly.

I looked at him for a few moments, feeling sicker as the moments passed. I can't eat.

"You do not have to. I will refund him whatever you don't eat." Anthony exhaled, "But you should eat the rolls, they are just divine."

I grabbed one of the rolls in front of me and quietly broke it in half. I silently spread some of the butter over it and took a bite. Mm. At least these aren't old.

"See, they're good." Anthony said. 
I nodded, "Yes, they are."

"I didn't think they were very remarkable." Sybil remarked.

Anthony sighed, "Yes, well it is important to appreciate the simple things. Sure, roast is wonderful, but so is a roll." He picked one up in his hands, "It took hours to make, you do realize? Each one was formed into a ball, each of them had to rise. A lot of work goes into the simple foods. It is important you realize that."