Chapter 16: A Complicated Agreement

The next day, Michael approached the group of older boys, ready to discuss what they would demand in exchange for stopping the bullying. He knew he had to fulfill his end of the agreement but was uncertain about the specifics.

The older boys gathered around, their expressions unreadable. One of them stepped forward, holding a small piece of paper with their demands written on it. "Here's what you need to do," he said with a smirk. "No talking back to us, no fighting. If we get into trouble, you take the blame. It's simple."

Michael's heart sank as he listened to the terms. The demands were harsh, and the idea of taking the blame for the older boys' wrongdoings was unacceptable to him. He took a deep breath, trying to keep his voice steady.

"I'm sorry," Michael said, shaking his head. "I can't agree to this. I understand you want something in return, but I can't take the blame for things I didn't do. I can do other things, but this isn't something I can accept."

The older boys exchanged glances, their amusement fading as they saw Michael's determination. One of them leaned in closer, his tone more serious.

"You're saying you won't take the blame?" he asked. "What are you willing to do, then?"

Michael hesitated, searching for an acceptable compromise. "I'll do whatever else you ask," he said. "But I won't accept punishment for things I didn't do. I can't just let you use me like that."

The older boys were taken aback by his refusal but remained firm. "Then you're not getting what you want," one of them said, their tone resolute. "We'll keep bullying Andrew until you agree to our terms."

Michael felt a wave of frustration and helplessness. He was caught between wanting to protect his brother and maintaining his own integrity. "Please," he said, his voice strained. "I'll do anything else. Just don't keep hurting Andrew."

The older boys considered his plea but showed no signs of softening their stance. "If you really want to help your brother, you'll have to accept our terms," they said. "Or we'll continue as before."

Michael knew he had to make a choice. He could either accept the harsh demands and risk losing his sense of self-respect, or he could refuse and face the continued torment of his brother. The weight of the decision was heavy, and he felt the pressure mounting.

"I'm sorry," Michael said again, his voice trembling. "But I can't accept that. l'll do anything except this "

To be continued
_____________________________

StarlitHearts