Chapter 7

The universe must hate me or is playing some terrible joke on me. When I wanted nothing to do with Trenchie, I saw him quite often, but when I actually need to find him, he's disappeared into thin air. Just my luck.

I've gone to Cafe Noir every night in hopes we'll cross paths again, much to Carlos' dismay. He's ignoring me, and I'm fine with that. I got bigger fish to fry. This guy, Trenchie, he's huge, which is why I don't understand why I haven't seen him. He's like a walking billboard sign. Can't exactly miss him. Yet, I feel like I am. That somehow we're running on different times, and that when I leave, he shows up.

Two people have my book. This stranger and Avi. Took some major convincing after everything. That time we met up at my apartment, and I watched the file show up on her laptop. I'm not allowed to see her work while she reads. Only when she's done to get to go through all her notes and edits.

So, I don't have to worry about that for the time being. I'm definitely curious though. I wonder what kind of changes she's making, and if she's leaving positive comments, if any.

Work isn't a concern either. Right now, I don't have any audios to transcribe. I have all this free time to dedicate into finding this guy, and it's going horribly. He's had my book for a whole 2 weeks. It's Saturday again, and if he doesn't show up tonight, I'm going to lose it.

Thankfully, Carlos isn't here, but unfortunately, Wren is. He keeps shooting me glares. I made sure to buy my usual drink so he doesn't accuse me of being a freeloader again. Not that I intended to be one in the first place. My mind has been on other things.

The bell above the door rings. I swivel my head to see who it is only to slump back into my seat. Not him. Can't say I was expecting to see my brother here though.

Milo walks towards my table and sits in the chair across from me.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on, or should I be worried?"

I look at him like I don't know what he's talking about, but he narrows his eyes at me knowingly.

"You've bailed on dinner with me twice now. Either you're mad at me, or you got something else on your mind."

I still don't answer. I should've been more careful how I went about things. I'm gripping at straws though. Nothing I'm doing is helping me solve my problem, and now, Mile knows.

"So," he continues, "which is it?"

I sigh. I'm starting to realize that I really do that way too much.

"I made a mistake, okay?"

Hoping he drops it, I look away and grab my drink. He doesn't.

"Come on, you gotta give me a little more to go off of. What kind of mistake? Are you trying to fix it?"

"Trying being the keyword. Can't exactly fix it if that trenchie never shows up."

Milo glimpses to the door then back to me with a hardened expressio. "You're waiting for someone. Did you make a...mistake with him?"

I don't catch the slight difference in tone when he says the word 'mistake'. "Yeah, but he's like a ghost. He's here when I don't want him and gone when I do. Ugh, men."

My irritation doesn't help the situation. It only further irks Milo.

"Who is it? What's his name?" His voice gets lower.

I shrug like it's no big deal, but I'm going insane because I don't know the answers to those damn questions.

"I wish I knew." I massage my forehead. My anger is giving way to a headache. It's the last thing I need.