Chapter 34

"What do you mean you have to work?" My mom mutters, resting a hand on her hip in disappointment. "You're supposed to be on vacation. That's what these 2 weeks are for."

I've explained it to her multiple times now that with January nearing and receiving the edits for my 2nd draft that I have to start making preparations for the 3rd one. In a few days, Ophelia will be my literary agent. I don't want to lose the momentum of all the hard work I've already done.

I'm not saying I'm going to ignore my family for the rest of the week. I'm just going to be making the time to also write. I haven't touched my laptop since I got here, and I should really get back to it before my skills get rusty.

They won't. I know that, but I need this.

"I'm all yours during the day, Mom. It'll just be at nighttime," I try to reason with her. It's not like she won't be seeing me at all. I'm still here for another week, and I'm sleeping here in her apartment.

She huffs, flitting her eyes to Hugh. "Can you tell her to wait until she gets back to Wharton to write?"

He tucks both lips between his teeth. I don't think he likes being put in the middle of things, but my mom did just that. She gives him a pleading look.

Clicking his tongue at the roof of his mouth as he continues to set the table for dinner, Hugh lets out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Thatcher, but I'm going to have to side with Erin on this, but I promise to make sure she goes to bed at a reasonable hour."

She groans but drops it. "Fine. And, how many times am I going to tell you to call me Luna?"

"I guess until it sticks."

I smile appreciatively at Hugh. He understands how important this all is to me. It'll be months before my book is anywhere near ready to be published, but the excitement I initially felt with all of this is still as strong as ever. Maybe more now that Hugh is in my corner again.

He's probably my biggest supporter, so encouraging. Believing in me has gotten me this far. I'll be forever grateful for him. For all he's done.

As we sit around the table to eat, pizza because mom burned the pot roast she was trying to cook, she talks about how her night was with my aunts and how much she looks forward to New Year's.

I've never seen her so expressive like this about anything. Divorcing my father is already having such a positive impact in her life. I love seeing her so happy. I hope she only feels more of it. She deserves it.

"Lily has 5 cats!" She exclaims. "All of them are tortoiseshells. I think she has an obsession with them and TNT. Such weird names. Yeonjun, I think was one of them?"

Ah, K-Pop. Of course, my mom has no clue what she's talking about.

"TXT. I think you mean TXT," I correct her, but she just flicks a wrist at me.

"It's so hard to keep up with all the new boy bands and trends. So much has changed. I remember when Patrick Swayze and Michael J. Fox were at the top of their game. Now, there's a new heartthrob every month on that TickyTocky app thing."

Milo snickers at her. "It's TikTok, but I'll take it. Kinds sounds better actually."

I can feel a blush creep up my neck at the mention of it. Because, Hugh is on that list, and he's taking up all of my FYP. Not that I've been able to get on the app much with him around all the time.

I open my mouth to change the subject, but my mom goes on.

"Dina told me that night," she refers to the sleepover, "That Hugh was the newest heartthrob on there. I couldn't believe it. She showed me all these videos. She called them edits."