// twenty seven //

"If you don't mind, for the sake of your poor old dad, keep the door open three inches." - Hopper

The day had started with a sense of unease, but by mid-morning, I was too distracted by unpacking to dwell on it. Boxes were scattered across my new apartment, half-unpacked and spilling their contents onto the floor. It was chaotic, but it was my space, and that felt good.

Even as I tried to settle in, I couldn't shake the thoughts that had been gnawing at me since my conversation with Billy. Something was wrong, something that had him terrified—enough to push me away after everything we'd been through. But as much as I wanted to reach out to someone, the idea of reopening old wounds made me hesitate. What if I was wrong?

A knock on the door snapped me out of my thoughts. Steve stood there, grinning and holding up a six-pack of beer like it was a peace offering.

"Housewarming gift!" he announced, stepping inside.

I forced a smile. "Hey, Steve. Making yourself at home already?"

"Of course," he said, flopping onto my couch. "Nice place. You did good."

"Thanks," I replied, sitting beside him. He handed me a beer, and I accepted it, holding the cold bottle between my hands. The temptation was immediate and sharp, but I resisted, pretending to take a sip while my mind battled the urge.

"So," Steve began, "how about we throw a housewarming party? Get the gang back together."

The idea hadn't crossed my mind, but it made sense. A party could be a way to reconnect with everyone, to see how things had changed during the time I'd been gone. And maybe, just maybe, it would give me a chance to talk to Steve and the others about Billy.

"Yeah," I said, nodding. "That actually sounds like a good idea."

"Great! I'll spread the word," Steve said, already scribbling down names. "You leave the guest list to me."

* * *

By the time the party started that evening, the apartment was transformed. Steve had outdone himself, inviting just the right mix of people to keep the vibe chill but lively. The living room was filled with familiar faces—Nancy, Jonathan, Max, and even some of the younger kids like Mike, Dustin, Lucas, and Will. Fairy lights strung across the walls cast a warm, soft glow over the room, creating a cozy atmosphere that belied the undercurrent of tension I felt.

Max stuck close to the younger boys, but I noticed how she kept glancing at Billy. Her usual guardedness had softened, replaced by a cautious concern. It was a small change, but it was there. Billy had changed, and I couldn't help but wonder if my absence had played a part in that.