// six //

"You shouldn't like things because people tell you you're supposed to." - Jonathan Byers

" - Jonathan Byers

As I rouse from my heavy slumber I am first aware of the coolness of the air and it's unfamiliar fragrance. The mattress below me is lumpy and hard. Slowly and reluctantly, I open my eyes. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me.

I half wonder if I'm still dreaming as I sit up to take in the shafts of light that burst through the small gap in the curtains above me. My body takes this exact moment to remind me of the pounding in my head and I try to lift my right arm to rub my forehead but I realise with a start that it's trapped under a distinctly male shaped arm.

My eyes widen as I follow the length of the arm to a mess of blonde curls. 

Billy!

I make a small noise in the back of my throat at this new discovery and lie back, staring up at the cracked ceiling as I desperately try to piece together the events of last night.

Fragments of memories come back to me all at once.

The halloween party, hooking up with Billy, fighting with Nancy, comforting Steve. There's nothing solid but I remember enough of the main parts to understand the gist of what happened. The only thing that seems to have slipped my mind is how exactly I managed to make it to Billy Hargrove's bed... with him in it. 

Oh god, we didn't...

I sit up, gently detangling my arm from Billy's and trying my best to be quiet and not wake the boy sleeping beside me. I drag my feet off the bed, and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. 

I sigh as I look down at myself, finally realising that I'm no longer dressed the way I had been the night before, the skirt is gone and an oversized t-shirt that smells like Billy is covering my black corset.

The fact that I've changed isn't helping to reassure myself that nothing happened between Billy and I. I try to push the unwelcome thoughts out of my mind as I spot my shoes on the floor beside my bed – right next to a pile of Billy's clothes, including my bag and all of the necklaces I had been wearing yesterday. 

I glance behind me once to check that Billy is in fact still sleeping. He hasn't moved since I woke up, he's still sleeping on his stomach, breathing in and out gently. 

I decide to get going before he can wake up and make fun of me or something like that. If we really did.. I don't want to stick around and face him. So I stand up slowly, swaying slightly as I reach down to grab my things. 

I make a face when I realise I'll have to find my way home in nothing but a black corset and some combat boots. 

Home, ugh.

Hopefully Jim will be at work by the time I get there, but if he isn't.. he will have worked out by now that I didn't come home last night and I'll never be ready to face his fiery wraith.