// eight //

"I'm chill." - Barb Holland

[ TRIGGER WARNING: domestic violence/abuse]

The rest of my evening with Billy passes rather quickly. We manage to keep up a decent conversation while we eat and I find that I quite enjoy Billy's company even when we're both completely sober.

Neither of us brought up the party again and I think we were both as relieved as the other. I'm usually quite good at reading people but when it comes to Billy I can never seem to tell exactly what he's thinking and it's driving me absolutely fucking crazy. 

I'm dying to know how he feels about our make out session, but there is no way in hell that I'm going to be the first one to bring it up. I'm not even sure if I know I feel about it.

There is still so much about Billy Hargrove that is a complete and hopeless mystery to me. Sure, I'd enjoyed kissing him, but after his violent outburst when I had refused to go any further with him, admittedly I was almost afraid of him.

More so, I was afraid to see him angry again. In those few moments he had reminded me of Jim on one of his bad days and I didn't like it one bit. 

Nevertheless I was determined to learn more about him. He may terrify me when he's angry and his very presence may feel both intoxicating and suffocating at the same time but I liked spending time with him. 

He was entirely different to Steve.

Ugh, Steve.

As I follow Billy outside to his car, my thoughts can't help but wander back to my troublesome ex-boyfriend. 

"I need to pick up Max but after that I'll drive you back to your car," Billy says, glancing back at me as he opens his door.

I nod distractedly, my mind still on Steve and what the hell I was going to do about him and Nancy. 

It seemed as though Steve and Nancy were officially over and although I was relieved, I couldn't help but wonder where Steve and I stood after our encounter at the halloween party.

The ride to the arcade is mostly quiet, but the silence is comfortable. I've noticed that Billy seems to be a man of few words, due to this I've been learning to remember the ones he actually blesses my ears with. 

I'm finally building up the courage to straight up ask Billy about our kiss when the bright neon lighting of the arcade comes into view and I curse myself silently for waiting so long, there's no chance I'll be saying anything with Billy's step-sister in the same car with us. 

The red-headed girl is outside the arcade talking to a boy I recognise as one of Nancy's younger brothers' friends. I'm pretty sure his name is Lucas. I can't help but notice the change in Billy when he sees his step sister.