Chapter 3

She woke up on the floor, feeling a small headache in her temples. Slowly, she sat up, using her bedframe to help her prop herself up. she sighed, looking down and noticing the silver ring on her hand. Then the events of the night before flashed in her mind, the ring, the burst of energy...

She walked over to a lightswitch and flipped it, but to no avail.

'Just as I thought, the powers out...' She thought and picked up her phone, checking the time, and instead of the usual modern iphone. Her gaze landed on what looked to be a... flip phone?

"What in the..." She whispered, picking up the old phone. She looked up and the room's wallpaper had changed from a boring white, to a pitch black. Confusion struck her,

'Is this a dream?' Carmen thought, and walked over to the fridge she had in her living room and it shifted from a sleek black futuristic type, to a red and silver 1950's type, and then to its usual white color.

'What is happening...' then her gaze shifted back to the ring. The small silver ring with the purple gem that Georgia had given her the day before, the same ring that is currently sealed onto her ring finger.

"Georgia... Georgia! She probably knows what's happening!" Carmen exclaimed, she hastily changed into a more put together outfit, and grabbed her phone which had thankfully shifted back to its original form already and sprinted out the door.

She ran as fast as she could through the rain, forgetting an umbrella yet again.

As soon as she got to the coffee shop Carmen sprinted to the back door, for once not really caring about the rain. Upon entering she is met with the same warm smell of coffee and sweets, as well as the familiar face of Effie.

"Effie! Perfect-" She took a deep breath in. "Where's Georgia?" Carmen questioned, shaking Effie by her shoulders. She took a moment to process the question,

"Good morning? Um, she uh... she didn't come in today..." Effie narrowed her eyes at her, looking her up and down. "Why, what happened?"

"It's uh, um..." Carmen's eyes searched around the room, desperately looking for Georgia's usual smiling face. But to no avail, "Can you come with me outside- for a moment?" She whispered, fidgeting with her keys and feeling them rust over, she quickly shoved them in her jacket pocket and chuckled nervously.

"Hey- what's happening, you look insane..." Luke squinted at Carm, putting his hands on his hips.

"You come too." Carmen replied quickly, pulling them both outside.

"So... what's up with you today? you're oddly paranoid..." Effie grumbled, folding her arms.

"Guys I've- I've been seeing things. The... the things around me keep on changing and I-"

"Are you on drugs!?" She exclaimed, grabbing Carm's hands and showing a concerned face.

"What? No I-"

"See, I told you she was up to no good. We raised you better than this!" Luke joked dramatically, earning a glare from the two of them. "I have no regrets." He stuck out his tongue.

Carmen took a small breath, shaking her off. "I don't know what's going on, last night I put on that ring that Georgia gave me because it- it was glowing, and... and then it exploded or something and then the power went out and I... CAN'T GET THIS STUPID THING OFF!!!!" Carmen got louder and more frantic as she spoke, tugging at the silver ring that had been mocking her this entire time. Luke put a hand on her shoulder,

"Hey, Carmen, calm down... Just look at me," He whispered, keeping her still. Effie nodded in approval.

"Ok, now. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!? PUTTING ON A SKETCHY RING THAT STARTED GLOWING!? WHAT KIND OF A FUCKING MORON ARE YOU!!!!????" Effie screeched, stress and worry merged into one.