Chapter 10

As Jungwoo continued showing Jimin his drawing, Jungkook found himself smiling at how happy his son is. He couldn’t help but feel a warmth spread through his chest as he watched the two interact. Without thinking much about it, he turned to Jimin, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

“Mr. Park,” Jungkook started, his voice softer than usual. “Do you mind if I stay and play with the kids today? I’d like to spend more time with Jungwoo.”

Jimin looked up, caught off guard by the request, but the surprise quickly melted into a warm smile. “Of course, Mr. Jeon. You’re more than welcome to stay. The kids would love it, and I’m sure Jungwoo would too,” he replied, nodding in agreement.

Jungkook’s heart lifted at Jimin’s response, a sense of contentment settling over him. He had been looking forward to this, a simple day spent with his son and, admittedly, the chance to see Jimin again. There was something about the teacher that lingered in his thoughts, something that made him want to be around him more.

But Yeri’s expression told a different story. She stared at Jungkook, her face a mask of shock and disappointment. She had thought today would be different—that she could have Jungkook all to herself, that maybe, just maybe, they could go on a date and start fixing the cracks in their relationship. She had planned it all out in her head, hoping to rekindle what they once had, to remind him of their past.

Yet here he was, wanting to spend the day with Jungwoo instead. Her heart sank, the hope she had clung to slipping through her fingers.

While Jungkook was busy settling in with the children, Yeri watched him from the side, feeling a bitter mix of emotions swirling inside her. She couldn’t stand it anymore. Seeing the way Jungkook’s attention was solely on Jungwoo and how easily he seemed to connect with Jimin, Yeri felt a pang of jealousy and insecurity rise up.

She waited for a moment when Jungkook and Jungwoo were fully engrossed with the other kids. Then,Yeri walked over to where Jimin was standing. She approached him with confidence, trying to mask the tension she felt.

“Mr. Park,” Yeri began, her voice light and conversational, though there was an underlying sharpness to it. “Thank you for being so good to Jungwoo. He really seems to like you.”

Jimin, ever polite, nodded and smiled. “Jungwoo is a wonderful child. It’s a pleasure having him in my class. He’s bright and always full of energy,” he replied, genuinely meaning every word.

Yeri’s smile didn’t quite reach her eyes as she nodded along. “That’s good to hear. I’m glad he’s doing well here,” she said, pausing for a moment as if considering her next words carefully. “But, Mr. Park… I hope you understand that it’s important for our family to have time together too.”

Jimin’s smile wavered slightly as he sensed the shift in the conversation. “Of course, Mrs. Jeon. Family time is very important.”

Yeri’s gaze hardened subtly, her tone becoming more pointed. “What I mean is… it would be best if you could, well, keep some distance from Jungkook. I’m sure you understand how things can get complicated,” she said, her words carefully chosen but laced with an unmistakable edge.

Jimin felt a small pang in his chest at her words, a mix of hurt and understanding. He knew she was protecting her relationship and her family, but the request still stung. He nodded slightly, his expression softening with resignation. “I understand, Mrs. Jeon. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind,” he replied, his voice calm, though there was a hint of sadness in his eyes.

Yeri gave him a tight smile, satisfied that she had said what she needed to say. “Thank you, Mr. Park,” she said before turning on her heel and walking back toward Jungkook and Jungwoo, her resolve steeled.