Chapter 11

That night, as the sun set and the city lights began to flicker on, Jungkook and Yeri made their way to Hoseok’s house. He had called Jungwoo’s regular babysitter earlier in the day, making sure she could come over and take care of him while he was out. It was a school night, after all, and as much as Jungkook loved spending time with his son, he knew a party at Hoseok’s wouldn’t be the best place for a five-year-old.

“Daddy, do you have to go?” Jungwoo had asked with a slight pout, looking up at him with wide eyes as he clutched his favorite stuffed animal.

Jungkook had knelt down, ruffling Jungwoo’s hair gently. “Just for a little while, buddy. You know your babysitter will take good care of you, right? And I’ll be back before you wake up, I promise.”

Jungwoo had nodded reluctantly, hugging his stuffed animal closer. “Okay, but only if you bring me back a surprise,” he said with a small grin.

Jungkook chuckled, nodding. “Deal. I’ll bring you something special.”

Now, as he stood in front of Hoseok’s door, he pushed those thoughts aside and rang the doorbell. Within seconds, the door swung open, revealing a grinning Hoseok. His friend’s face lit up as soon as he saw Jungkook.

“Hey, Kook! You made it!” Hoseok exclaimed, pulling Jungkook into a tight hug. “It’s been too long, man!”

Jungkook returned the embrace, feeling a familiar warmth spread through him. “Yeah, it has. It’s good to see you, Hobi,” he said, his voice muffled against Hoseok’s shoulder.

When they pulled apart, Hoseok’s eyes flicked over to Yeri, who was standing a few steps behind Jungkook. His smile faltered slightly, but he quickly recovered, offering her a polite nod. “Yeri,” he said, his tone flat. It wasn’t openly hostile, but it wasn’t friendly either.

Yeri forced a smile, her eyes scanning the living room behind Hoseok, which was already buzzing with guests. “Hoseok,” she replied, her voice laced with forced cheerfulness. She stepped inside, her heels clicking against the hardwood floor as she took in the scene. The living room was elegantly decorated, filled with Hoseok’s usual eclectic mix of friends—artists, musicians, and the occasional high-profile socialite.

As she walked further into the room, Yeri couldn’t help but admire her own reflection in the mirrored wall. She had spent hours getting ready, making sure every detail of her appearance was perfect. Her hair was styled in loose waves, cascading over her shoulders, and her makeup was flawless, highlighting her sharp features. Her dress, a sleek black number that clung to her curves, drew several admiring glances from the other guests. Yeri was used to being the center of attention, and tonight was no different.

She smiled to herself, satisfied that she looked every bit the part of a successful, beautiful woman. But as she glanced back at Jungkook, her smile faltered. He wasn’t looking at her. In fact, he seemed oblivious to the effect she was having on the room. His attention was solely on Hoseok, and the two of them had already engaged in animated conversation.

Hoseok, with his easygoing charm and infectious energy, had a way of drawing people in, and Jungkook was no exception. Yeri watched as Jungkook laughed at something Hoseok said, his eyes crinkling at the corners in that way that always melted her heart. She felt a pang of jealousy and frustration. Here she was, looking her absolute best, and Jungkook couldn’t care less. His eyes sparkled with a light she hadn’t seen in a long time, but it wasn’t because of her. It was because of Hoseok.

She approached them, trying to insert herself into the conversation. “What’s so funny?” she asked, her voice bright, masking the irritation she felt.