Chapter 47

18 months later

The car slowly pulled up outside of the building as hordes of people crowded around, separated from the vehicle by a mere rope barrier. Hoshi took a deep breath in. He definitely needed to become accustomed to all of it again, after 2 years of relative quiet. Not the physical strain, of course; he was still in top condition after serving his time in the army, but the cheering crowds did make his head spin.

He shakily climbed out of the car, waving to the people on either side of him. He couldn't see their faces due to the mask and hoodie he was wearing, but he heard their screams. Their applause. It warmed him amidst the harshness of the November cold, filling his heart with a feeling he hadn't experienced in a long time.

As he dove into the building, the crowd outside subsided. Once he was a few meters in, he finally removed his mask. Right as he was about to pocket it, a figure launched at him, enveloping him in an overwhelming bear hug.

Hoshi got knocked off his feet. As he stabilized himself, he noticed a very spiky head digging into his chest.

The head looked up. "Hyung! How are you?" Dino asked. Once they broke away, Hoshi surveyed the maknae fully. He was definitely more fit with the muscles practically bulging from under his camouflaged jacket, his stance more assured and grounded.

"You look like a hedgehog," Hoshi frankly stated, glancing at Dino's very bald scalp.

The youngest scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, what can I say. But my send-off wasn't nearly as fun, I just went to a salon whilst Mira filmed the whole thing. No concerts for me," he sighed.

At the mention of Mira, Hoshi's thoughts went blank. Jang-mi... he'd completely forgotten about seeing her, and it caused a burning sensation to arise onto his face. His cheeks flushed from the guilt.

"Where are the other members?"

"Right here!" Joshua waved at him, still as long-haired as ever. The two quickly embraced. The others soon filed in, some members in their military uniforms, others in casual clothes if they had time to change into them. "But, um... Jun and Myungho aren't here. They both have a few obligations back in China, but they said to pass on their congratulations. We can facetime them right now, if you want. They'll be back soon," Joshua added.

Despite the mild disappointment of two members being away, the feeling was cathartic. Nearly all of Seventeen, together after so long. Even with their rings: when enlisting, the group gave them away for safe-keeping to the company, except the members that wouldn't be serving.

As he slid the cool piece of jewelry onto his pinky finger, he suddenly just felt... overwhelmed. So much was happening so quickly after 2 years of a relatively calm - albeit regimented - life. His thoughts wandered all throughout the press photo they were taking, and as the members all coddled him and congratulated him on his discharge.

"Wah, you've bulked up," Woozi glanced over Hoshi approvingly, himself seemingly expanding a fair amount as well. Hoshi smiled weakly. It was true that he'd gained muscle, but he was already making plans to cut and get back to his old physique. Something about dancing with what feels like two heavy weights on all of your limbs isn't quite as appealing as it looks, especially if those weights are your muscle.

"You have any plans now that you're a free man?" Coups asked, a tinge of resignation in his voice.

Hoshi shrugged. "I think I'll just go home, honestly. Rest a little, then start working on content. But it feels weird, you know? Being the first one out. I have a responsibility now."

Joshua crossed his arms. "It's not like you're all alone, you know. There's 3 of us here too," he feigned offense.

"Alright, sure. Me, you, Jun and Myungho... welcome to the Performance Team, then," Hoshi pulled Joshua in, ruffling his hair. As he said that, Dino turned around and crossed his arms.