Part 1

【Mission to Capture Rong Jing Complete!】

【The host will be transported to the next world in 24 hours!】

The system's excited voice echoed in my mind.

I looked toward the jade steps outside the palace doors, where the golden-edged rays of dawn dazzled my eyes.

Rong Jing stood against the light, his long sword still dripping with blood.

This sword had just been pulled from the old emperor's chest.

Tomorrow, Rong Jing would ascend the throne and become the seventh ruler of the Great Yao Dynasty.

And I would quietly leave at the moment he donned the emperor's crown.

【Host, you're not falling in love with him and wanting to stay, are you?

【There were others who completed their missions and fell in love with their targets, insisting on staying. But their endings were all tragic.】

Annoyed by the noise, I waved my hand to mute the system.

"Yang Yang, what are you thinking about? You look so serious." Rong Jing suddenly stood in front of me, startling me.

I shook my head and tentatively asked him, "If one day, I'm no longer here, you—"

Before I could finish, Rong Jing scooped me up by the waist.

His expression was grim, his entire presence radiating hostility as he strode into the inner chamber, throwing me onto the golden canopy bed.

His scorching breath fell on my ear.

Rong Jing, almost trembling, roared, "Shen Yang! You promised you would never leave me!"

But I was someone who excelled at lying.

Before I fainted, I kept thinking, given Rong Jing's current obsession with devouring me whole...

I couldn't imagine how mad he'd go when he found out I was dead tomorrow.

As the sky gradually brightened, Rong Jing kissed my forehead over and over again.

Only then did he rise to go to the great hall and receive the ministers' homage.

The system kept chattering in my ear: 【Host, host, time's up! We have to go now!】

I floated in the air, my gaze falling on the body lying in the center of the bed.

I watched as the once vibrant, rosy face slowly lost its vitality.

Suddenly, there was a loud bang—

The palace doors were forcefully thrown open.

Rong Jing stumbled in, his hair crown askew, but he didn't care. He staggered toward me, throwing himself onto the bed where I lay. Holding my lifeless body close, he pressed his face against mine, calling my name repeatedly: "Yang Yang, Yang Yang, you're just asleep, right? It's okay, I'll wait for you to wake up..."

【Strange, wasn't the male lead supposed to be in the middle of his coronation?】

"Shen Yang—!"

The heart-wrenching scream pierced my eardrums.

It left me disoriented even as I was transported to the next world.

"Miss, we'll be closing in ten minutes.

"Is the person you're waiting for still coming?"

I was stunned for a few seconds before realizing the waiter was talking to me.

At the same time, fragments of the new plot flashed quickly through my mind.

Following the plot's guidance, I put on a sorrowful expression and said sadly, "He probably won't come. I'm sorry to have bothered you."

I squeezed out two tears and ran out of the restaurant, crying.

A flash of lightning lit up the night sky, followed by a torrential downpour.

Standing by the roadside, I took out my phone and called the male lead:

"Fu Rong Yu, it's raining outside. Can you come pick me up? I'm at..."

"No time." His cold voice held not a trace of emotion.

I walked alone in the heavy rain, utterly miserable.

Actually, I could have taken a cab back.

But the plot wouldn't allow it.

The Fu residence was brightly lit.

I pushed the door open, shivering and hugging my shoulders to fend off the cold.

On a nearby sofa, Fu Rong Yu rested his chin on his hand, his gaze fixed intently on the woman beside him.

So, he could smile, and even show a gentle expression.

But whenever he faced me, he was always cold and indifferent.

As I moved closer, I overheard the woman sitting next to Fu Rong Yu, cautiously tugging at his arm as she asked:

"Ah-Yu, I heard from my mom... that you have a fiancée?"

Fu Rong Yu responded with a casual "Mm."

The woman's eyes immediately welled up with tears: "You said you'd wait for me."

"No one stays in the same place forever."

"Ah-Yu, whether you believe it or not, I... I had my reasons..."

Despite his harsh words, Fu Rong Yu unconsciously pulled her into his arms, soothing her in a gentle voice.

I sneered inwardly. What a trashy plot.

This world was set in a wife-chasing novel, filled with intense, tragic love.

Fu Rong Yu was my fiancé. As for the woman now crying in his arms?

She was his long-cherished white moonlight who had returned from abroad, the daughter of the Fu family's housekeeper, Lin Song Ya.

And I? I was Shi Shuang, the unfortunate female lead of this wife-chasing abusive novel, hopelessly in love with the male lead.

It was time to deliver my line: "What are you two doing?"

The moment Fu Rong Yu looked up and saw me, his smile instantly vanished.

Lin Song Ya froze for a moment, then pushed him away, wiping her tears as she ran upstairs.

I walked up to Fu Rong Yu, my voice trembling: "Fu Rong Yu, as long as... as long as you say there's nothing between you two, I'll believe you."

"As you can see."

Fu Rong Yu brushed past me without even a glance.

Did he really think that made him look cool?