Part 4

"Of course, I'm back to make life difficult for you, big brother."

In this world, Rong Jing was known as Fu Rong Jing.

The mighty ruler of the Great Yao Dynasty had somehow ended up in this absurd and outrageous wife-chasing abusive novel, now cast as the male lead's half-brother.
I couldn't make sense of it at all.

Fu Rong Yu's expression darkened as he frowned and demanded, "You're the mastermind behind Kronos?"

Rong Jing nodded, openly admitting it.

"So, you're the one competing with me for that plot of land in the western suburbs? Do you even realize how important that land is to Fu Corporation?"

"It's just as important to me."

Rong Jing wore a smile, but there wasn't a trace of warmth in it.

He looked like nothing more than a frivolous playboy.

But only I knew the obsessive and cruelty hidden beneath that facade.

He once wore that very smile as he forced me to swallow poison.

"I just wanted to tell you, big brother—
"Everything you have, I want it all."

Fu Rong Yu's icy demeanor grew even colder.

He spat out, "This isn't over," before storming off in a fury.

The tall silhouette lingered before me.

Before I could react, I was pulled into a familiar embrace.

In the darkness, Rong Jing's voice was a soft murmur, like a lover's whisper: "Did you enjoy eavesdropping?"

"Yes! Fu Rong Yu must be furious."

"Shen Yang," Rong Jing growled through clenched teeth, calling me by my former name, "don't mention other men in front of me."

With that, he hoisted me over his shoulder and tossed me into the passenger seat.

He floored the gas pedal, and as soon as we were in the elevator, he had me pinned against the wall, his body pressing into mine.
The arm wrapped around my waist tightened even more, his deep voice exploding in my ear:

"Now, it's time to settle the score between us."

Outside the window, the neon lights flickered through endless cycles.

The swaying crystal chandelier blurred into an indistinct shimmer.

Rong Jing repeatedly shattered me, merging me into his very being.

As I traced his back, my fingers brushed over a scar running from his shoulder blade to his waist.

In my dazed state, I recalled that scar...

It seemed to be from the time, years ago, when I was imprisoned in the palace and Rong Jing had come to rescue me alone.

His long fingers intertwined with mine, locking us together.
"What are you thinking about so deeply?"

"Thinking about you... wondering why you're here."

Oh no, I accidentally voiced my inner thoughts.

What answered me was a silence wrapped in the fury of a storm.

When I finally woke up, a full day and night had passed.

The morning light filtered through the curtains, casting fragmented patterns of light across the room.

The walk-in closet was filled with the latest designer clothes, all in my size.

As I changed, I couldn't help but think: Rong Jing really is lucky—no matter where he goes, he's surrounded by wealth.

Unlike me, driven to the brink of madness for the sake of earning points.

On the dining table were plates of asparagus scrambled eggs, toast, and a glass of warm milk.

"Why didn't you sleep a bit longer?"

Rong Jing emerged from the kitchen, lifting me and placing me on the dining chair.

He sat beside me, picked up a piece of toast, and tore it into pieces, soaking them in the milk.

My gaze was involuntarily drawn to his hands.

Last night, it was those hands that had held my ankle...

"Why is your face so red? Are you feeling hot?"

I nodded, then quickly shook my head.

The next moment, he lifted me and set me down on the table.

Milk spilled everywhere, and the plates and utensils were swept to the floor one by one.

"Leave them. We'll clean up later."

No matter how much I pleaded, threw tantrums, or even tried to seduce him, I couldn't get Rong Jing to reveal why he was in this world.

Great, now he had secrets from me.

But I could feel that lately, Rong Jing had been treating me like a precious treasure he'd lost and finally regained.

He had become intensely insecure, constantly needing to confirm my presence.

Sometimes, he would wake up in the middle of the night, and upon realizing I was still beside him, he would let out a long sigh of relief before carefully pulling me into his arms.

The once crazy Crown Prince had turned into someone mentally fragile.

Lying on Rong Jing's chest, I absentmindedly played with the string of prayer beads he always wore around his wrist.

I had obtained those beads for him at the busiest temple in Luoyun City, after climbing 990 stone steps and kneeling in prayer for three days.

The Buddha had said his obsession was too deep, and that he might never find peace in this life.

Thinking of this, I asked him, "The day I... the day I died, why did you suddenly return?"

Rong Jing lowered his gaze, his fingers twirling a strand of my hair: "The Life-Death Gu [1]. When the mother Gu vanishes, the child Gu reacts."

I froze, then abruptly looked up.

Back then, when the system assigned me to capture Rong Jing, they gave me the role of an undercover agent.

【The higher the difficulty, the more points you'll earn~】

I was fooled by this very line and ended up diligently playing the role of an undercover agent.

When my cover was blown, the consequences were disastrous.

Rong Jing had choked me and placed the most venomous Life-Death Gu in me.

I always thought the mother Gu was inside him.

Because the Life-Death Gu was incurable, the child Gu was eternally controlled by the mother Gu.

When the mother Gu disappears, the host of the child Gu experiences...

Experiences excruciating heartache.

"...Did it hurt?"

"Compared to losing you, that pain was nothing."

I couldn't bring myself to meet those amber eyes.

I was afraid my guilt would be all too obvious.

Footnote:

[1] Gu (蛊) is an ancient Chinese black magic, involving the manipulation of poisonous insects to punish or curse others, created by placing hundreds of poisons together and letting them fight until only the strongest remains.