Part 8

Rong Jing held the small packet of poison for a moment, a faint smile curling at his lips: "I didn't realize, Yang Yang, that your feelings for me... run so deep."

I suspected he was mocking me, but I had thick skin.

So, I smiled sweetly and nodded: "Deeper than the bottomless abyss."

I didn't expect that, the moment I opened my mouth—

A pill slipped down my throat.

Rong Jing grabbed my wrist, pinning it above my head, and held my chin to keep me from spitting out the pill.

His tone was intimate, like a lover's whisper: "Then you'd be willing to die for me, wouldn't you? This is a new poison made by the shadow guards. After taking it, you won't live more than 24 hours."

Damn system, you never told me he was this crazy!

I forced myself to stay calm, smiling even more brightly: "Of course I'm willing. I'd do anything for you, Your Highness."

In reality: I'm doing this for the points.

"After I die, you should cremate me and scatter my ashes in the wind. That way, every time the wind blows, you'll think of me.

"Make sure to eat well, sleep well, and..."

I frantically tried to remember the lines from the romance novels I'd read, reciting them like mad.

Suddenly, my feet left the ground as Rong Jing lifted me into his arms and carried me swiftly into the hall.

The door shut, the curtains fell.

The scent of calming incense enveloped me.

I pushed Rong Jing's shoulder. "I'm about to die, and you still want to do it?"

"Weren't you the one who told me to sleep well?"

So out of everything I said, that's the only part you paid attention to?

It seemed the shadow guards' poison-making skills weren't that great.

Anyway, I didn't quite die.

The political situation in the court was unpredictable and treacherous.

The old emperor's health fluctuated between strong and weak.

My father and the Third Prince wanted to take advantage of the emperor's good days to cause trouble and depose Rong Jing.

They wrote to me constantly, asking if I had poisoned him yet.

As I picked up my pen to reply, 【Yes, yes, I'm adding a little bit every day.】

I gave Rong Jing a quick peck on the cheek and said, "Let me deceive this old fool."

Double-agent work meant double the points.

Two months later, when my father realized Rong Jing was still alive and well, he finally understood that I had been deceiving him.

He and the Third Prince, under the guise of the Noble Consort, summoned me to the palace and imprisoned me in a side hall of her quarters. They began sending Rong Jing bloodstained clothes and my hairpins and jade bracelets, trying to force him to come rescue me.

Once a prince comes of age, he's not allowed into the inner palace without an imperial decree, and certainly not allowed to carry weapons there.

If Rong Jing came, he'd face an onslaught of impeachment and accusations.

How do I know this so well?

Because I personally wrote this plan as a secret message and sent it to my father, following the system's instructions.

I asked the system: 【Is this really a capture mission?】

What kind of capture mission involves such a crazy plotline!

The system chuckled awkwardly: 【Sorry about that, Host. This is my first time being a system, so I forgot to tell you. This mission is ssssss+ level. There are two essential conditions for success: maintaining the main storyline and ensuring Rong Jing ascends the throne as emperor.】

The main storyline meant I had to help my father plot against Rong Jing, leading to his demotion.

Then, during his downfall, he would meet his advisors, who would assist him in overthrowing this decaying dynasty and achieving a grand revolution.

It was quite thrilling, and also pretty challenging.

【No wonder you were so excited when I took on this mission, with static in your voice and everything. You've never seen such an easy-to-fool newbie, have you?】

【Host, how could you say that! You're the best and most amazing newbie I've ever seen. I see limitless potential in you! Keep going! Remember, this mission offers double points!】

Not only was it emotionally manipulative, but it also knew exactly how to hook me with the promise of double points.

It was too good at its job.