Part 14

My heart suddenly clenched, as if a massive crack had split it open.

What the system had told me was too absurd to believe.

Yet, everything seemed to align.

The scar on Rong Jing's back, the chipped Nine-Dragon Glass Cup.

His vague, seemingly casual answers to my persistent questions.

Every little detail was reminding me.

He hadn't just suddenly appeared in this world.

He had waited for me for two thousand years.

For me, it had only been a transition from one world to the next.

But for him, it had been two long, lonely millennia.

I leaned against the bookshelf in anguish, my chest feeling like it was weighed down by a boulder, making it impossible to breathe.

【Host, I've wanted to tell you all this for a long time. The Main God kept silencing me, preventing me from speaking, even reprogramming me to control what I could say. But just now, a major plot disruption occurred in another dimension, so the Main God went to fix it. He can't monitor me right now, ah—】

The system's voice suddenly cut off.

It was replaced by another, more authoritative mechanical voice:

【System 001 has violated system protocols and is temporarily offline.

【Host, please continue to complete your mission.】

I sat on the floor for what felt like an eternity.

Long enough for Rong Jing to notice I was missing and search for me, room by room.

I felt someone lift me up, cradling me by the back of my knees.

I looked up, staring blankly at Rong Jing.

His hair color had changed, but those amber eyes that always reflected me hadn't.

I reached out, tracing the lines of his brows and eyes with trembling fingers.

Rong Jing, noticing something was wrong, set me down and knelt before me: "What's happened?"

I struggled to open my mouth, my voice coming out raspy and broken:

"Waiting two thousand years for me... was it worth it?"

Rong Jing smiled.

In his smile, I saw a hint of relief.

His gaze locked onto mine, his expression focused and sincere:

"You, in my eyes, have never been in the category of 'worthy' or 'unworthy.'

"To me, you are everything.

"That world was perfect, except it was missing you, and you're all I want.

"If it's something I truly desire, what does it matter if I wait a little longer?

"And besides, I waited, didn't I?"

Two thousand years were brushed aside by him with just a few understated words.

His amber eyes were filled with unabashed obsession and deep affection.

I should have understood this when his affection for me reached 100%.

Love can make a person grow flesh and blood, and it can also lead to endless delusions.

Just as he stubbornly insisted on calling me Yang Yang.

The room was dim, so I walked to the window and pulled back the curtains.

Even though it was only the setting sun, the light stung my eyes, making them unexpectedly tear up.

"Yang Yang, you promised you'd never leave me."

Rong Jing embraced me from behind, whispering softly like a devout believer.

Those words felt like an ancient spell.

It seemed that the only one eternally trapped was him.

Shen Yang would always owe Rong Jing a forever.

The glass reflected our two overlapping figures, so intimately close.

As I looked out at the skyline of towering buildings, I slowly spoke:

"This city, centuries ago, was once the mighty Dulan River. The land you snatched from the Fu Corporation in the western suburbs is still called Shou Mountain by some. You see, rivers can dry up, mountains can crumble, and even the most beautiful roses will eventually fall into the dust and vanish.

"Forever is just a lie told by liars to fools.

"I've been deceiving you all along."

I told Rong Jing everything.

Everything that had happened between us—whether it was sweet words, love, or hatred, all of it—

Was because I was just someone completing a mission.

And once the mission ended, I would disappear from his life.

"So, stop being so attached.

"Your Highness."

The moment the words left my mouth, he swiftly flipped me over with a forceful grip.

Rong Jing held my waist firmly, pulling me toward him as he bent down and kissed me.

I was trapped tightly in his embrace.

"Yang Yang, I've known all along about everything you just said.

"How long a liar can fool a fool depends on the fool's choice.

"I'm willing to be deceived, as long as you—

"As long as you're willing to keep lying to me."

His voice was almost pleading.

My eyes widened in shock, bigger than grapes pumped with hormones: "You knew all along?"

"Yes, after living for over two thousand years, sometimes I had to play the NPC."

No wonder it was him who kidnapped me according to the plot.

No wonder he always appeared at the critical points in the story.

I lowered my eyes, unable to meet his gaze: "But eventually, I'll have to leave."

"Then I'll keep waiting. I'll wait for our next encounter.

"Even if it takes thousands and thousands of years, I'll find you again."

He really was a madman.

This madman wouldn't let me wallow in self-pity; instead, he started to brainwash me:

"I'm the one who waited two thousand years, and I don't feel cheated. So what's your problem?"

A fair point, straight to the heart, and impossible to argue with.

I had no problem with that anymore.