Part 6

As I walked out of the Fu residence, a bolt of lightning suddenly slashed through the clear night sky.

Immediately, a torrential downpour followed.

I never quite understood the Main God's obsession with making it rain during key plot moments.

I wandered aimlessly through the rain, my mind in a daze.

A red sports car executed a sharp, flawless turn and screeched to a halt in front of me.

Rong Jing got out of the car, scooping me up into his arms. His tone was dark and ominous, and if you listened closely, you could almost hear him grinding his teeth.

"Do you know what I thought when I realized you were gone again?

"I thought about breaking your legs and locking you up."

Feeling a bit lightheaded, I clung to his neck, nuzzling against him affectionately.

"You wouldn't do that, you're the best."

And with that, I lost consciousness.

Thanks to the rain the Main God so graciously provided, I ended up with a fever of 39.5 degrees Celsius.

This wasn't the kind of temperature a hardworking plot-follower should have.

The system brainwashed me: 【Host, this is a new plotline that the Main God specifically added to make it more reasonable for Fu Rong Jing, the second male lead, to rise in status. The NPCs in this world don't know about your past relationship with the Crown Prince from the previous world; they only know that he's the male lead's younger brother.】

It made some sense, but it wasn't really necessary.

【The Main God also mentioned that this plotline comes with extra points.】

Now I'm all in again!

Rong Jing entered the room, holding a glass of water and some medicine, and reached out to check my forehead.

Feeling a bit guilty, I avoided his gaze.

The truth was, from the moment he appeared, the plot of this world had shifted from the male lead's wife-chasing crematorium to the second male lead's ascension.

And Rong Jing was that second male lead.

I pretended to be nonchalant as I reunited with him after a long separation, rekindling our old feelings, all while using him to complete the plot.

But the reality was, once the story concluded, I would once again...

Leave him.

The other side of the bed sank as Rong Jing lay down.

He lifted the blanket and pulled me into his arms, his chin resting on the top of my head: "You should sleep, you'll sweat it out and feel better."

The scent of calming incense filled my nose, and soon my eyelids grew heavy and fused together.

I dreamed again of the first time I met Rong Jing.

After staring all night at the tips of my shoes, embroidered with dragons and phoenixes, I finally heard the door creak open.

As the bridal veil was lifted, a sharp dagger was suddenly pressed against my neck.

Those amber eyes gazed at me leisurely: "I've heard that drums made from the skin of a beautiful woman produce an exceptionally crisp sound. I think the Crown Princess's face would make a fine drum skin."

After a moment, seeing no reaction from me, the tip of the blade moved up an inch. "Aren't you afraid?"

I blinked: "Why should I be afraid? Didn't Your Highness just say I'm beautiful?"

...In truth, I was terrified.

Rong Jing slowly withdrew the dagger, a hint of amusement in his eyes: "Yes, Crown Princess, you are indeed beautiful."

I quickly picked up the wedding wine and offered it to him.

Under my hopeful and determined gaze, Rong Jing tilted his head back and drank the wedding wine, then stood as if to leave.

I grabbed the red tassel hanging from his waist, meeting his puzzled look: "We've bowed to Heaven and Earth, and we've shared the wedding wine. You are now my husband. It's late, husband, where are you going?"

Rong Jing sat back down beside me, reaching up to remove the jeweled hairpin from my hair.

"I haven't asked your name yet."

But our marriage certificates had it clearly written!

You didn't even look at it, did you!

"My name is Shen Yang, like the endless flow of the river."