Part 10

Because of the incident with the deposed Crown Prince, a deep rift formed between Rong Jing and me.

The Life-Death Gu was planted, but the resentment in his heart remained unresolved.

From the capital to Luoyun City along the way.

During the day, he barely spoke to me, giving me the cold shoulder with a stern expression, yet still forcing me to eat the shrimp he had peeled.

"I don't like shrimp. You eat it."

At night, it was as if he was venting his anger, tormenting me repeatedly.

This strange, awkward tension persisted until the day the assassins hired by the Third Prince appeared.

In the blink of an eye, I weighed the pros and cons and, without hesitation, threw myself in front of Rong Jing to shield him from the airborne poisoned arrow.

【Host, with Rong Jing's skills, he could have easily dodged that...】

【You don't understand! I wasn't just taking an arrow—I was securing a bright future!】

Rong Jing's hands were icy as he held me, his entire body trembling.

"Why did you shield me from that arrow?"

I opened my mouth, only to cough up a large amount of blood as consciousness slipped away.

When I woke up, the poison had been neutralized.

Rong Jing was sitting by the bed, feeding me a bowl of bitter, dark medicine.

The system informed me: 【Host, he stayed by your side the entire time you were unconscious, never once closing his eyes. He was risking his life for you.】

I looked at Rong Jing.

The face that had once stunned me with its beauty was now pale and haggard, his eyes bloodshot.

He reached out and pulled me into his arms, his voice rough and dry as it escaped his throat: "Yang Yang, I'm sorry."

I had indeed secured a bright future.

Rong Jing's affection for me had finally reached 100%.

Now, all I had to do was wait for him to ascend the throne.

Then I could complete my mission and claim double points!

The seven years Rong Jing and I spent in Luoyun City replayed in my dreams like a series of fleeting images.

He met the advisor as expected.

Together, they solved the locust plague, managed flood disasters, and repelled foreign enemies, stacking countless buffs before finally returning to the capital.

The Third Prince met a gruesome end—Rong Jing personally skinned him and stripped his bones.

Outside the prison, I could hear the agonizing screams.

Rong Jing walked out briskly, holding me tightly, his voice low and heavy:

"Yang Yang, Third Brother cursed me to lose the one I love forever. You won't leave me, will you?"

The mighty Crown Prince asked me for reassurance with such caution.

I think my answer at that time was...

"No, I'll never leave you."

The relentless vibration of my phone pulled me back to reality.

I had slept for too long; the fever had long since broken.

I glanced at my phone on the bedside table.

It was a message from the auction house manager:

【Miss Shi, the Huo family will be hosting a charity gala in three days. The painting you entrusted to us has been delivered.】

I opened the attachment, which included an electronic invitation.

The truth was, "Shi Shuang" was just my side identity.

My main identity was the genius painter Sisi, whose works were nearly impossible to acquire!

This was a face-slapping scenario carefully set up by the Main God!

At the charity gala, Fu Rong Yu would discover my true identity.

And he would also realize that I had been spending time with the brother he despised the most.

This revelation would trigger his desperate, crazy pursuit of me—

But he would never succeed.

Rong Jing pushed open the door to the room.

He found me sitting cross-legged on the bed, clutching my phone and laughing maniacally while pounding the mattress.

He gave me a dispassionate glance: "Looks like you've recovered."

"Thanks to Your Highness's excellent care," I replied with a sweet smile, spreading my arms and clinging to him like a koala.

As I nuzzled against him, I caught a whiff of something delicious: "What did you cook that smells so good?"

Rong Jing brought over a porcelain-white bowl, and the wontons, floating in fragrant oil and sprinkled with scallions, came into view.

"Last night, you kept murmuring 'wontons, wontons' in your sleep, so I made some according to your taste. How is it?"

I eagerly took a bite, pleasantly surprised by the flavor: "Delicious! Even the imperial chefs would have to step aside. When did Your Highness learn to make wontons?"

"This morning. I followed an online tutorial."

I really dislike people who succeed at everything they try...

As I ate the wontons, some faint memories began to surface in my mind.

I decided to tease Rong Jing: "Aren't you curious about what else I dreamed of besides wontons?"

Rong Jing played along: "What else did you dream of?"

"I dreamt that you planted the Life-Death Gu in me. I also dreamt that on our way to Luoyun City, I was hit by a poisoned arrow, but when I woke up, the poison had already been cured. Isn't that strange?"

Rong Jing chuckled softly: "Not strange at all."

Yeah, yeah, keep acting.

I had originally suspected that he used the Life-Death Gu to draw the poison into himself and gradually neutralize it.

That's why he looked so sickly and pale during that time.

Now, I was almost certain.

Who would place the child Gu in themselves while giving someone else the mother Gu!

He wanted to scare me, but couldn't bear to actually harm me.

A crazy Crown Prince with a reassuring kind of madness.