Part 13

Rong Jing quietly slipped a ring onto my finger, one he had designed himself.

I loved it so much that I took a photo and posted it on my social media.

It didn't take long for someone to send the picture to Fu Rong Yu.

He relentlessly called me eighteen times in a row.

Annoyed, Rong Jing grabbed my phone and answered the call.

A drunken voice came through the speaker:

"Shuang Shuang, I'm so drunk, why aren't you coming to pick me up? You used to come no matter how late it was."

Rong Jing, holding me close, lazily replied, "Shuang Shuang is too tired and has fallen asleep."

He then kissed me on the cheek.

The line quickly turned to a series of beeps, signaling the call had ended.

The days of not being a simp were wonderfully peaceful.

Rong Jing pushed aside all his work to stay home with me, buying all my favorite foods and diving into the kitchen with his laptop, determined to learn new recipes on the spot.

Once again, he was mastering a new skill in real time.

My curiosity spiked, and I decided to brush up on some background knowledge by reading.

I stood by the bookshelf, pondering for a full ten minutes.

Finally, my attention was caught by "The Complete Collection of 100,000 Cold Jokes".

As I reached up to grab it, I accidentally knocked down a beautifully bound book with gold lettering that looked very expensive.

A yellowed bookmark slipped out from the front page, and the handwriting on it was all too familiar.

【I hate distance, shadows, pain, rain.

【I want bright days, with you, by the sea and on the sand.

【I want a fantastical sky, a beloved land, but only with you.

【I want flesh, warmth, stones, smooth water, everything we can touch.

【I hate dreaming, I hate waiting.】
When did Rong Jing become so poetic?

I stared at the handwriting on the bookmark for a few seconds and realized something was off.

Every stroke conveyed despair and defiance.

The words were filled with obsession and madness.

【Host, 20 points for a secret. Want to trade?】

The system's sudden voice startled me.

20 points? You might as well ask for my life.

【No deal!】

【It's a secret about the Crown Prince.】
I gritted my teeth and reluctantly responded: 【...Deal!】

The system fed a series of images into my mind.

In the vision, Rong Jing was dressed in a black silk long robe from the Republic of China era, intricately embroidered with gold thread. He sat in a huanghuali wood chair, a jade thumb ring on his finger, tapping the table rhythmically.

A middle-aged man, also dressed in a long robe, stood respectfully in front of him.

With a slight bow, he carefully unrolled the scroll in his hands.

It was an ancient piece of calligraphy.

Rong Jing lifted his gaze and glanced casually at the scroll, his eyes finally settling on the signature at the bottom.

The characters "Zi Yin" were written in a bold, flowing script.

"How much does Mr. Chen want to sell it for?"

The middle-aged man referred to as Mr. Chen thought for a moment and then raised three fingers.

Rong Jing called for a servant: "Take Mr. Chen to the accounting office."

"Thank you, Mr. Rong."

The scene shifted.

In a simple bamboo hut, Rong Jing, his hair unbound, sat by the bedside with his knees drawn up. One hand held a half-empty wine jug, the other a brush, surrounded by scattered sheets of paper.

Suddenly, someone pushed open the door.

"Brother Zi Yin, I haven't seen you in days, and here you are, hiding away to drink alone."

The man casually picked up a piece of paper from the ground and glanced at it. Clicking his tongue in amazement, he said, "It's surprising, considering that Vice Minister Xue always claimed Brother Zi Yin had great calligraphy skills but wasn't good at portraits. If he saw these, he'd probably be begging to become your apprentice.

"It's just that the woman in this painting doesn't look like someone from the capital; she seems quite unfamiliar."

Rong Jing carefully gathered the scattered papers.

He murmured, "She's the woman from my dreams."

The drawings were all of me.

I suddenly remembered—Zi Yin was Rong Jing's courtesy name [1].

The images faded, and the system's voice returned:

【Host, after you left, the Crown Prince's resentment nearly tore that world apart.

【The Main God made a pact with him, granting him a new identity every so often, allowing him to exist as an observer in this time and space indefinitely.

【He might encounter you, or he might not.

【The only thing he could do was wait.

【He has waited for you for 2,456 years.】

Footnote:

[1] A courtesy name is a name bestowed upon one at adulthood in addition to one's given name.