[4] : Between Duty and Conscience

Don't Forget to Review!!

=========================================

"Of course I've heard about it," Roger responded to Madelyn. "It seems it was an engine failure—pretty tragic."

"Yeah, it was pretty tragic. I only met him this Tuesday, right in this office," Madelyn continued.

Roger nodded. "Accidents can happen at any time; it's quite real."

"Indeed," Madelyn agreed, then moved closer to Roger and said, "Do you know what's interesting about this incident?"

"Hmm?"

"Deep told me, just to me, that there were burn marks on the mayor's plane engine, like traces left by two very fine, intense lasers. The width... is probably just the width of a human eye."

At this point, Roger realized that it was likely that the actions of Homelander were about to be exposed.

Now, as Homelander, Roger didn't want to clean up after his predecessor, but given the irrefutable evidence, he had no choice but to bear the responsibility. So he first asked:

"So... was the engine dealt with?"

"It's already been taken care of. So do you admit it was you?"

"Of course. Since he knew about Compound V, you should understand the significance of Compound V to Vought. Such people cannot be left alive."

Compound V is one of the most critical clues in *The Boys* series. It is a mysterious serum that can turn humans into superhumans. The younger the age at which it is injected, the greater the chance of awakening abilities. As age increases, even if injected with Compound V, the chances of awakening abilities diminish, and there's even a risk of death.

Therefore, Vought uses Compound V on newborn infants to create superhumans and develop their own superheroes. Homelander, Queen Maeve... and all individuals with superpowers are products of Compound V, with Homelander being the most perfect example.

Knowing about Compound V, Vought couldn't allow such individuals to survive. Even if Homelander didn't act, someone else would. However, the reason Homelander took action wasn't solely because of Compound V but because the mayor had threatened Madelyn.

Tsk, such a loyal lapdog.

Internally criticizing Homelander, Roger smiled at Madelyn and said:

"Eliminating obstacles for the company is also my responsibility, right?"

"I know, I know, but this isn't something you should be doing. You represent hope and sunshine. You should be bright, not... seeking revenge on someone."

Madelyn reassured him.

Before Roger could respond, she continued, "Besides, you shouldn't have had to deal with this. Today I've invited nearly half of the Senate Appropriations Committee. Do you know what impact this would have on us if it were discovered?"

"So, did I make a mistake?"

Roger countered.

Madelyn looked at him, as if assessing something, then sat beside Roger and said softly:

"No, actually, you did very well. It's just that the timing was off. Let go of that unfortunate mayor; tonight, I need you to use your image to mesmerize those senators and pave the way for what we need to do. Can you do that?"

"Alright, that's actually my specialty."

What Madelyn wanted to achieve was to get Vought's superhumans into the military, with Roger—Homelander—serving as the image ambassador. Besides Roger, Queen Maeve and Noir would also attend the evening's event, while Deep had missions to perform.

After discussing this with Madelyn, Roger decided to think about what to do next. As Homelander, the most powerful person in the world, Roger could do anything he wanted. Just like Homelander.

But Roger didn't want to become the kind of person Homelander was. The education he received from a young age taught him not to act recklessly just because he had superpowers. He wanted to be a true superhero, not a pseudo-superhero like Homelander.

Yet, he wasn't sure what steps to take.

Leaving Vought, and before any activities began, Roger flew back into the sky, recalling the area he had traversed yesterday, and flew around searching.

He was convinced that his crossing had a purpose. Others typically crossed over after death or during sleep, but Roger's crossing was simply triggered by picking up a Superman model?

Roger felt something was amiss, so he returned to search for answers in the sky.

"Hm?"

Passing by the area where he had floated yesterday, Roger suddenly stopped, activated his super vision, and searched for anomalies in the sky.

He had just detected a subtle difference between the distant sky and the nearby sky, as if there was a piece of distorted glass, creating a sense of discord.

Through his super vision, Roger quickly located the position of the 'glass.'

"This must be the location where I crossed over yesterday."

Gazing at the transparent distortion in front of him, Roger thought to himself. Then he extended his left pinky finger forward slightly, touching the transparent space in the sky.

He used his pinky to probe because Roger was concerned that this distorted transparent space might cause him harm. Although Roger now had a Superman-like invulnerable body, he was cautious as even Superman sometimes gets hurt. What's more, Roger wasn't Superman.

Fortunately, the distorted space before him was harmless. When Roger touched it with his left pinky, it felt like poking a thin plastic film, and it pierced through with a gentle push.

But with that one poke, the distorted space in front of him suddenly underwent a drastic change!

The distorted space began to expand, with something spreading from Roger's pinky up his arm!

Startled, Roger tried to pull his finger back, but the suction force of the distorted space made it impossible for even someone with super strength like him to escape!

"Fuck!"

Cursing inwardly in panic, Roger could only watch as the distorted space turned into streams of warmth, spreading up his left arm.

Of course, he actually couldn't see anything, but he could feel the warmth from the distorted space.

After several seconds, Roger's eyes turned a deep blue, and the distorted space left messages in his mind. Through these messages, Roger realized that his crossing might have been a mere coincidence. He had inadvertently stumbled upon this distorted space and was brought into the world of *The Boys*.

Roger temporarily referred to this distorted space as the [Crossing Point], because this space could traverse different space nodes depending on the time and space. Before crossing, these space nodes would charge up, connecting to a world similar to the pre-crossing world. Once the node was fully charged, it could transport someone to another world.

However, crossing through space can harm the human body, so one must either wear protective suits with powerful defenses or have superhuman physical qualities during crossing.

Unfortunately, Roger had nothing before crossing, so his body was torn apart by the space. But since he established a connection with the [Crossing Point] and could be considered its master, the [Crossing Point] chose the closest world and character based on the figurine he held, allowing him to be reborn.

Thus, he became Homelander.

And this is the truth of how Roger crossed into this world.