Chapter 45

Cecilia Anderson

The morning sun crept through the blinds, casting a warm glow across the apartment. It was the first day of my hospital internship, and the excitement and nerves were bubbling up inside me. As I dressed in my crisp new scrubs, my mind wandered back to last night. Jude's apology and our heartfelt conversation had been a whirlwind of emotions. I was still processing everything when I arrived at the hospital, trying to focus on the day ahead.

The hospital was a hive of activity when I walked in. I was introduced to the staff, given a quick tour, and then directed to the ward where I'd be spending most of my time. The hustle and bustle of the emergency room was a stark contrast to the calm I had experienced on the rooftop with Jude.

Just as I was beginning to find my rhythm, a nurse led me to a corner of the ward where a young man was sitting with his leg elevated. He was surrounded by medical staff and looked visibly uncomfortable. As I approached, I realized this was no ordinary patient; he was a footballer, and not just any footballer, but Gavi, a rising star on the Spanish team.

His injury was severe—an ACL tear and a meniscus injury. He wouldn't be playing in the tournament, but he was there to support his team. Gavi was charismatic, his face lighting up with a smile as he noticed me approaching.

"Hey there," he said, his voice warm and inviting. "I'm Gavi. And you must be Cecilia. I've heard a lot about you."

I was taken aback. "Oh, you have? I'm Cecilia, yes. Nice to meet you."

He gave me a wink, and I felt my cheeks warm. "I hope you're not too disappointed that I'm not in action on the field. I'm afraid my skills are currently on the bench."

I chuckled, trying to keep my composure. "I'm sure you'll be back in action soon. How are you holding up?"

"Better now that you're here," he said with a playful smirk. "I was starting to think the nurses were my only companions."

The conversation continued with an ease that surprised me. Gavi's charm was undeniable, and his flirtatious remarks were made with a casual confidence that was hard to resist. He seemed genuinely interested in talking, his eyes never leaving mine.

As the day went on, I found myself drawn to Gavi's easygoing nature and the way he effortlessly managed to lighten the mood despite his circumstances. He asked about my background, my goals, and even made light-hearted jokes about how the hospital was probably missing out on some serious talent by not recruiting me.

"You know," he said as he adjusted his leg, "if you ever get tired of being a doctor, you could always try modeling. You'd be a hit."

I laughed, feeling a flutter in my chest at his compliment. " Actually, I'm a model too..."

I could see the shock in his eyes as he stared at me. "You're kidding me. A model and a doctor? Is that even possible?"

I couldn't help but laugh softly. His reaction was so genuine and endearing. I found myself wishing I could spend the entire day with him—just the two of us in that small treatment room. But I had pressing matters to attend to, so I reluctantly prepared to leave.

Just as I was about to stand up and exit, he reached out and gently took my hand. His touch was warm, and his gaze, filled with curiosity, seemed to hold a thousand unspoken questions.

"What must I do to see you again, Cecilia Anderson?" he asked, his deep brown eyes locking onto mine with earnest sincerity.

I smiled, feeling a spark of intrigue. "We'll see," I replied, my voice soft and teasing. With one last, lingering look, I slipped out of the room, leaving him with a sense of anticipation and a smile that I hoped he would remember.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The day sped by, filled with interactions and tasks that made me feel more at home in the hospital environment. But as the clock neared the end of my shift, I found myself still thinking about Gavi's playful demeanor and our conversation.

I decided to take a quick walk around the hospital to clear my head. The corridors were quieter now, and I wandered through them, trying to shake off the confusing mix of emotions I felt. Just as I was about to head back to the locker room, I heard a familiar voice echoing down the hallway.

I paused, recognizing the voice before I even turned the corner. It was Jude's voice.

I followed the sound, my heart racing as I reached the pediatric ward. There, through the small glass window of one of the rooms, I saw Jude sitting beside a young girl, talking to her softly. She was a young football enthusiast with a bright smile, her eyes full of admiration as she listened to him.

Jude was animated, his gestures warm and his expression gentle. It was clear he was trying to lift her spirits, and the scene was incredibly touching. I felt a lump in my throat as I watched him. He seemed so different from the man I had shared a conversation with on the rooftop—so tender, so caring.

The girl's laughter, though soft, seemed to echo through the room, and Jude's reassuring words brought a sense of calm and joy to the moment. I stood there for a while, lost in the scene, the conflicting feelings inside me swirling like a storm.

"You have to always believe in yourself," he said. "Even when things get tough. You're strong enough to handle anything."

I stood there, frozen, unable to move. His words, the tenderness in his voice, the way he looked at the little girl – all of it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was a side of Jude I hadn't seen in a long time. The boy I once loved seemed suddenly so close and yet so far away.

The little girl looked up at him with admiration. "Do you really think I can be a football player one day and be as good as you?"

"I know you can," Jude said, his voice filled with genuine encouragement. "It won't be easy, but you've got the strength and the heart to make it happen."

Eventually, I pulled myself away from the window, feeling a deep sense of emotion and confusion. I was drawn to Jude's kindness, but I was also trying to navigate the budding connection with Gavi. The day had been a whirlwind, and I needed some space to process everything.

As I walked back to the locker room, my mind was racing. Gavi's playful flirtation had stirred something in me, but Jude's unexpected appearance had opened up old wounds and feelings I wasn't sure how to handle. The mixture of emotions left me feeling both exhilarated and exhausted.

The contrast between the two men—the playful flirtatious footballer and the compassionate hero—was stark. And as I prepared to leave the hospital, I knew I had to find a way to sort through my feelings and make sense of the tangled mess that was my heart.

When I finally arrived home, I collapsed onto the sofa and stared at the ceiling. My heart felt heavy, full of questions that I had no answers to. What should I do? Who should I choose? Could I even make a decision without hurting someone – or myself?

The next few days would change everything. I felt it deep inside. And no matter how hard I tried to ignore it, I knew I would have to make a decision soon. But how could I choose between the past and the future when my heart was torn in two?