Accidents and Alcohol

!!!TW!!!

SH, suicidal ideation.

Accidents and Alcohol

'So, because the laces were tied outwardly, rather than inwardly, I managed to deduce that she was murdered. After all, who ties their shoes backwards?' Ranpo leans back with a smug grin and sighs. 'It's hard being the smartest in the room sometimes'. He grabs a lollipop, unwrapping it and placing it in his mouth.

You should've got that Dazai. It was obvious.

I know, I think. I rub my head, trying to get last nights rum out of my temples.

'You've been oddly quiet today Dazai. Anything you want to share?' Kunikida asks, raising an eyebrow.

'Yeah, everything good?' Atsushi asks.

'Hungover' I smile. Atsushi giggles, as Kunikida huffs.

'Bro, it's Tuesday!' Tanizaki exclaims.

'More rum?' Ranpo cocks his head. 'What do you mean more rum?' Kunikida asks.

'Yeah, how'd you know?' Atsushi asks.

I catch Ranpos eyes, giving him a warning glance.

'Worlds greatest detective guys, remember?' He smiles. 'His nails aren't painted, it's obvious'

We all stare blankly at him.

He exhales, exasperated. 'Rum's main ester is ethyl acetate, at lower concentrations it smells fruity. However, deducing by the state of Dazai, I imagine he had a higher concentration. Which smells like...'

'Nail polish!' Atsushi yells excitedly.

Fuck. That was loud.

'Exactly' Ranpo says, looking directly at me. 'So, am I right Dazai?'

I plaster on a smile. 'Right as always Ranpo'.

He leans back on his chair, absentmindedly sucking on the lollipop.

He covered for you. Why?

No idea. I think. I stand up. 'Well, I'm going to go home to sleep. See you tomorrow'.

'I'll come with you Dazai, I've gotta go that way anyway'

Ah, shit.

-later-

We walk along the pavement, as Ranpo hums. I totally ignore him. He's like a small child. Show him any attention and he goes crazy. I managed to get a coffee however without him complaining. Bought him a fizzy drink to shut him up. Gotta do some research when I get back.

'So, we slicing and dicing this evening?'

I choke on my coffee. I turn round and stare at him in total shock.

He laughs. 'I think that's the first time I've seen you flustered Dazai'. I calm myself down.

Keep up the human mask.

'As I told you, I would like to keep that aspect of my life private'.

Ranpo cocks his head. 'Clever answer. Neither affirming or denying'.

'You know Ranpo, not everything is a mystery that needs to be solved' I smile, throwing away my now empty cup.

'Where does your therapist practise?'